C. hyatti Coloration

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jadeninja9

C. hyatti Coloration

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 pm

So I was googling pictures of the species I'm keeping, and noticed that all the pictures I've found of C. hyatti queens have black heads and red thoraxes.
Here are some examples:

Now, on the other hand, my queen has different coloration. She has a very dark red head and reddish brown thorax.

I'm curious why this is the case. Does anyone know why this is?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Serafine

Re: C. hyatti Coloration

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:41 am

Color variations between individuals of the same species is normal for most ant species. However she might actually be of a different species, like Camponotus discolor. Most ants are hard to exactly ID on the species level, just because there's so many (often lesser known) of them.

Jadeninja9

Re: C. hyatti Coloration

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Serafine wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:41 am
Color variations between individuals of the same species is normal for most ant species. However she might actually be of a different species, like Camponotus discolor. Most ants are hard to exactly ID on the species level, just because there's so many (often lesser known) of them.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Except discolor has only been found around Texas. I was thinking maybe it's a sub species of Camponotus hyatti, like Camponotus bakeri or something.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans