The most painful part of ant keeping

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Rafiredog

The most painful part of ant keeping

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Hey guys, in the past week I managed to get a Lasius neoniger, and Formica sp. queen! I am super excited and ready to house them in my portals and wanting to buy the formicariums and outworlds but there is just one little thing.
They are laying eggs and I have to keep them tucked away in the dark for a week at a time! I really wish I had a nightvision camera to spy on them but I just have to be patient. I checked on them yesterday and the Lasius neoniger queen had 10 eggs! while the Formica I only caught 3 days ago has nothing, and still has her wings!

Do you guys have any queens founding? Or are you past the most painful part of being an ant keeper? At any rate have a great weekend everyone!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: The most painful part of ant keeping

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I have 5 Solenopsis queens I just put in tubes the other day for founding, I have 3 queens that already have live daughters and 2 that are close, one Queen and daughters I just put in a nest today https://youtu.be/tyE0q_bWUbk.

Yes the wait period is one of the hardest parts short of losing a queen to a already established colony. Just be patient and let her do her thing without disturbing her. The best reward is taking a peek after a while to see her with 15-20 daughters!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

AntsArizona

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:23 pm

I caught like 20 potential queens and check once in the last week and saw 4 of them had eggs. These are the first I've ever caught and it so painful to not want to check on them!!! So right now I'm coming up on week 2 and trying to not look at the them until the end of aug. Can't wait!!

Nathant

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Your "Lasius neoniger" queen is probably actually Lasius alienus, since you caught it that early in the year.