unbelievable!!

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

unbelievable!!

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:23 am

so, after i get my daughter to school this morning, im sitting on the couch watching tv. i notice something crawling on the arm of the couch right beside me, i don't freak out as a lot of bugs find their way in the house this time of year to escape the heat. so i look and its this little lady.. another formica i believe. i don't even expect anyone to believe this as im typing it, because i still don't believe it at all. lol. :geek: have any of you guys had things like this happen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Re: unbelievable!!

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Tommy13 wrote:Damn aha never had that happen to me and I don't think it ever will :lol:
yeah it was pretty crazy. im wondering how a mated queen made her way into my house alone. im still in disbelief. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

formica123

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Ive had 3 new Lasius Niger queens walking around my room today... Checked and none are mine

WiseHollow

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Nothing that brilliant has happened to me! Very lucky you are. :) The closest I've had is, I found my most current queen walking towards me in my garage while I was helping my dad with some projects. :D

Carl75

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:52 pm

I have had queens in the house. I expect they flew in then landed.

I had a man come in to where I work asking for directions who had a queen on his shoulder. He couldn't see it. I caught it in a cup and later transferred it into a test tube set up.

The same day as I was walking home I had a queen land on my arm. I put her on the ground as I had already caught a few queens and didn't want to catch too many.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Carl75 wrote:I have had queens in the house. I expect they flew in then landed.

I had a man come in to where I work asking for directions who had a queen on his shoulder. He couldn't see it. I caught it in a cup and later transferred it into a test tube set up.

The same day as I was walking home I had a queen land on my arm. I put her on the ground as I had already caught a few queens and didn't want to catch too many.
"Yes I will give you directions sir, but first hold still while I get that queen ant off of your shoulder." :)

A few months ago, my son-in-law came to me and said, "I think one of your ants got out." We went and looked and a Camponotus hyatti had come in the front door. Not one of my ants but we got her in a test tube setup. She had about 4 or 5 workers but shortly after they all mysteriously died. The queen died about a week after that :(
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Gregory2455

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:17 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Carl75 wrote:I have had queens in the house. I expect they flew in then landed.

"Yes I will give you directions sir, but first hold still while I get that queen ant off of your shoulder." :)

A few months ago, my son-in-law came to me and said, "I think one of your ants got out." We went and looked and a Camponotus hyatti had come in the front door. Not one of my ants but we got her in a test tube setup. She had about 4 or 5 workers but shortly after they all mysteriously died. The queen died about a week after that :(
Most Camponotus species on the western side of the US do really, really bad in test tubes, or anything that is glass or plastic at all. You should always move them out after they get workers and into grout, sand, wood, AAC, or other things like that.

Mauritaniants

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Its funny how some ants just show up when you least expect them to appear.
I had the same thing happened to me last week. I turned on the light in my bathroon and I saw a large camponotus queen. At first I thought it was a cockroach because it was so big.

I call these miracle ants. Just like the ones I save floating around in my pool.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Gregory2455 wrote: Most Camponotus species on the western side of the US do really, really bad in test tubes, or anything that is glass or plastic at all. You should always move them out after they get workers and into grout, sand, wood, AAC, or other things like that.
Good to know. Thanks Gregory2455!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

idahoantgirl

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:13 pm

larynx wrote:so, after i get my daughter to school this morning, im sitting on the couch watching tv. i notice something crawling on the arm of the couch right beside me, i don't freak out as a lot of bugs find their way in the house this time of year to escape the heat. so i look and its this little lady.. another formica i believe. i don't even expect anyone to believe this as im typing it, because i still don't believe it at all. lol. :geek: have any of you guys had things like this happen?
lol! That's cool. I caught my queen when I was outside with a friend and it landed on her shoulder. Thankfully she didn't freak out, so I was able to catch her.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile