Camponotus castaneus

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Stevedog16

Camponotus castaneus

Wed May 24, 2017 9:02 am

Hey I decided two keep two of my campontus Castaneus queens since I caught 5. I'm returning the 3 back to the wild after they have some type of colony established. My question today is my two queens I decided to keep just recently started laying eggs, but I notice one queen had a little bigger size egg than the other ,I been checking them without bothering them and,no for sure the one that has the bigger eggs layed it a day after. I'm curious do the queen have and ability to control the size of egg they want layed or is it maybe nutrition thing.or is it that she is a more dominant well put together queen lol. I'm hopping you guys have the answer or this is just something that happens

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Camponotus castaneus

Sat May 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Where are you located by chance? Camponotus castaneus is the species I want most of all! I have seen countless drones over the last week but yet to find a queen. If you are close, I would defiantly be interested in acquiring one/some of the ones you are releasing.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Sat May 27, 2017 4:21 pm

I just found you are from Louisiana...man, I really want this species lol. Maybe I can get lucky soon.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Stevedog16

Sun May 28, 2017 10:41 am

Yes I love this species they have a beautiful orange and red coloration. I have two queens left besides the two I am keeping I would love to give you a queen but unfortunately it's illegal to send across states, unless we were to meet up. I do wish you luck in your searches if there are drones there will be queens around somewhere just keep looking.

xTNxANTMANx

Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 am

I've definently got my eyes open! I say some nests yesterday with alates crawling about so I'm hoping today and tomorrow will be good. Fingers crossed. :-)
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2