Ant Invasion

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Ant Invasion

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Really!? How did other ants get to your queen? What type of setup was she in?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Well I have figured out how to keep the little buggers away from my ants! Get a few tin foil baking pans (they range from 1/2" to 6" deep) and place your set up in the middle on some sort of pedestal to keep the nest or out world out of the pan, now fill the pan with water. Your basicly putting a water filled moat around your castle!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Foxish wrote:
MadVampy wrote:Well I have figured out how to keep the little buggers away from my ants! Get a few tin foil baking pans (they range from 1/2" to 6" deep) and place your set up in the middle on some sort of pedestal to keep the nest or out world out of the pan, now fill the pan with water. Your basicly putting a water filled moat around your castle!
This I like.

I remember reading a book from the library when I was young about ants, the scientists keeping them actually had their formicarium setup completely open but had moats around everything to contain the ants, sort of like the inverse of what you are suggesting here ^^

This guy for example has the same idea, he's got his 'outworld' as just an island surrounded by water. Of course, you risk ant casualties, and you need to keep it topped up, but it's an interesting proposition:

I have to ask myself what the benefits of this are. I guess the climate is much more natural and fresh due to the open air, and it's much more sort of... hands on xD

very cool. i have been pondering ideas on how to make an escape deterrent more elegant, and this is perfect. how did i never think of a moat? :lol:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:30 am

Tommy13 wrote:
ooper01 wrote:Really!? How did other ants get to your queen? What type of setup was she in?
She was in a normal test tube setup and they at past the cotton :(
Yea they have survived so long because they have the ability to adapt to .most anything.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

raxsoller

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:55 am

well that great but one exception. Fire ants can cross water by building a raft. So that set up wont work with fire ants. But in other species I think its Great!