NEW in antkeeping and thirsty for help!

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

chrisnuke

NEW in antkeeping and thirsty for help!

Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Hello so recently i been watching some videos about ants and i feel in love with ants and wanted to become a ant keeper my self, i plan making my own formicarium or maybe buying from here but first i wanted to know what specie would be best, currently here in Aguascalientes, Mexico i research and found 30 plus species of ants and the ones i found interesting are:
.camponotus sericeiventris (i know it takes year to grow this to a big colony, but i find them so cool that they have a golden color, and are so big)
.atta mexicana (i know that the real challenge here is to take care and keep their fungus healthy but its so educative and entertaining to watch this dudes grow their own food)

I try to research about them and i found some basic info so i would like to know witch one would be more interesting to keep, if their easy, if they have stingers or are aggressive, if they grow fast (atta) and what setup would you recommend and the materials or tips and guides about it and its care, maybe im asking for a lot but i would be so happy if you could guys answer to my doubts, also for the formicarium i have some ideas that i found on the internet it would be cool if you could complement your answer with this examples and i you think their worth making them.

1. Example for the atta mexicana formi

2. Example for the camponotus sericeiventris formi

PD: Sorry for my bad English i dont practice it a lot, im very new to this and i would like to have everything ready and the knowledge before capturing the queen witch i contact a taxonomist who research the species here where i live so he can tell me when are nuptial flights and where to find them.

ANT LOVE FOR EVERYONE

Barfdog

Re: NEW in antkeeping and thirsty for help!

Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 pm

chrisnuke wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 pm
Hello so recently i been watching some videos about ants and i feel in love with ants and wanted to become a ant keeper my self, i plan making my own formicarium or maybe buying from here but first i wanted to know what specie would be best, currently here in Aguascalientes, Mexico i research and found 30 plus species of ants and the ones i found interesting are:
.camponotus sericeiventris (i know it takes year to grow this to a big colony, but i find them so cool that they have a golden color, and are so big)
.atta mexicana (i know that the real challenge here is to take care and keep their fungus healthy but its so educative and entertaining to watch this dudes grow their own food)

I try to research about them and i found some basic info so i would like to know witch one would be more interesting to keep, if their easy, if they have stingers or are aggressive, if they grow fast (atta) and what setup would you recommend and the materials or tips and guides about it and its care, maybe im asking for a lot but i would be so happy if you could guys answer to my doubts, also for the formicarium i have some ideas that i found on the internet it would be cool if you could complement your answer with this examples and i you think their worth making them.

1. Example for the atta mexicana formi

2. Example for the camponotus sericeiventris formi

PD: Sorry for my bad English i dont practice it a lot, im very new to this and i would like to have everything ready and the knowledge before capturing the queen witch i contact a taxonomist who research the species here where i live so he can tell me when are nuptial flights and where to find them.

ANT LOVE FOR EVERYONE
Okay first off your English is phenomenal. Second I think making your own formicarium is a fantastic idea, there are even many on here that make there own and maybe have journals posted for it. I've learned that unless someone is selling the queens of the species you want in your area, you might as well find a queen during flight season(now I presume for you). I recommend not giving up because finding the fertile queens and determining their species and founding them in general in a test tube is the hardest part.

I suggest looking at night for queens around lights that come on at around sunset, so they are on for a long period of time and eventually queens will gather near the light.. This is how I've found most of my queens. If you aren't sure if it's a queen or not you can always give her a little tiny poke.. my philosophy is if they have wings and run away from you instead of flying..good chance that is a queen. They will also break there wings off I've noticed while fleeing from things they get scared of.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

chrisnuke

Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for those tips, that something of a relief about my doubts.

Hoolie

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Hey, chrisnuke! Since your post is three years old, I want to know if you were able to find a queen and start your colony? I'm looking into starting a colony of the same ants, but am having a hard time finding any for sell. What has your experience been with them? Difficulty level for keeping them? Are they a fast-growing colony? Have photos to share?

Thanks!

Hawkeye

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:49 am

Hoolie wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:34 pm
Hey, chrisnuke! Since your post is three years old, I want to know if you were able to find a queen and start your colony? I'm looking into starting a colony of the same ants, but am having a hard time finding any for sell. What has your experience been with them? Difficulty level for keeping them? Are they a fast-growing colony? Have photos to share?

Thanks!
Which of the 2 species?