Winnipeg Woes

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Foebos

Winnipeg Woes

Wed May 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm 33 and from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I have only started seeing ants on the ground about one week ago. It seems like flights won't be happening for a while...especially with the cold not going away! I can't complain really...Some places in Canada still get snow.

Anyone else from Winnipeg or Manitoba here know any good spots for collecting? I'd like to prepare for this year a lot better than previous years. I was thinking St Vital Park...or off of Bishop along that large bike path (I'm south Winnipeg). Any other ideas for areas would be fantastic!

Also looking for resources on local species, I'm having a hard time determining exactly which species are around. The website I was using shows 71 unique species but I have maybe seen 10 unique ones my whole life. Or maybe a local myrmecologist that I can speak with? I wish we had a museum like Quebec, their insect showcase is amazing from what I can remember. I'm considering just calling the University of Manitoba agriculture department to get leads but I'm guessing someone in here might know more than them.

:D Anything is welcome!!

Batspiderfish

Re: Winnipeg Woes

Wed May 10, 2017 11:27 pm

The full species diversity won't be allocated across the entire territory, but we're blind to diversity until we learn to recognize all the small differences. A small handful of native ants will eventually turn into a rich mosaic.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsManitobacanada

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:10 pm

hey I am from Virden and am whiling to share some info with you. camponotus are flying right now I just caught one a week ago and she already has 5 eggs. good luck!!!! :D

Foebos

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks! I must have missed this reply. Work has gotten me busy over the past few weeks. I'll try to find something still this year though. I'm determined!

Foebos

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Caught Camponotus novaeboracensis at my work! This was last week Wednesday July 5th.

CreeperUniverse

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Foebos wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:50 pm
Caught Camponotus novaeboracensis at my work! This was last week Wednesday July 5th.
Lucky! Camp is my favorite native species, and after 2 years I still can't get a queen :(
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

Foebos

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 am

It was completely random. One was found in the washroom and another the next day, on the main floor. I work in a small office downtown in a relatively large city. I was amazed! It's never happened before in all the years.

They are both laying now and seem content.