It has been almost a year and still no luck..

General discussions about ants

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

Antcrisp

It has been almost a year and still no luck..

Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm

It has been almost a whole year that I've been in search for a queen with no luck.Yesterday,we received some rain,so today I'm going queen hunting. Where do you guys recommend me to search besides the sidewalks?

ANTphibian

Re: It has been almost a year and still no luck..

Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Depending on where you live, if you wait a couple of weeks, you should be able to catch a tetramorium queen.
Good luck, though!
Hopefully soon to be a keeper of tetramorium, and all round ant lover :D

Jadeninja9

Thu May 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Antcrisp wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm
It has been almost a whole year that I've been in search for a queen with no luck.Yesterday,we received some rain,so today I'm going queen hunting. Where do you guys recommend me to search besides the sidewalks?
I know how you feel dude. Still haven't found one. If you go to the active topics there's this dude who created this trap of queen ants so they get stuck and you can collect them. You should check it out.

ultraex2

Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 am

Have you located any actual ant colonies?
I've found that it helps a lot to first find as many wild ant colonies as you can, make notes of what species/where they are, and keep checking those areas. If there are colonies in an area I can almost guarantee there will be nuptial flights at some point in the year and then you'll be able to find the queens - you just have to keep checking the areas until eventually they fly.