What should I do about this colony?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

MichaelJones

What should I do about this colony?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:39 pm

There is a wild colony outside my house, I want to try to get them into my omni nest without flooding or digging them up. I left the nest and a tub right against their nest for a few days and all they did was eat the food and drink the sweet water that I left. What should I do that would get them to move but not in too much stress?

xTNxANTMANx

Re: What should I do about this colony?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 pm

If it's a wild colony that's already set up I highly doubt there's much you could do that would make them want to move in your nest. Without digging them up I wouldn't think there would be another way honestly.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Martialis

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Don't dig up mature colonies. They most likely find their nest more suitable.
Keeper of

Selliing:

MichaelJones

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
If it's a wild colony that's already set up I highly doubt there's much you could do that would make them want to move in your nest. Without digging them up I wouldn't think there would be another way honestly.
So basically I should leave them alone and just find a mated queen?

Batspiderfish

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 pm

MichaelJones wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm
xTNxANTMANx wrote:
So basically I should leave them alone and just find a mated queen?
Yup! The mating season isn't far away (except for in certain places which are getting 1-2 feet of snow tonight.)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Serafine

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 am

Which species? I doubt anyone would complain if you dig up Solenopsis invicta (Imported fire ants, if you're ready for the challenge). Pheidole megacephalia (Big-headed ants), Linepithemia humile (Argentine ants) or another highly invasive species. Other (native) species should better be left alone, the chance of injuring the queen is very high anyway.

MichaelJones

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 am

Serafine wrote:
Which species? I doubt anyone would complain if you dig up Solenopsis invicta (Imported fire ants, if you're ready for the challenge). Pheidole megacephalia (Big-headed ants), Linepithemia humile (Argentine ants) or another highly invasive species. Other (native) species should better be left alone, the chance of injuring the queen is very high anyway.
It's the Dorymyrmex Insanus

Martialis

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 am

MichaelJones wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 am
Serafine wrote:
It's the Dorymyrmex Insanus
Leave them alone.
Keeper of

Selliing: