NEW ANT QUESTION

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Antsushehe

NEW ANT QUESTION

Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Question about ant keeping :shock:

So I found an ant queen with 3 workers 5 days ago while splitting some firewood. A ordinary black carpenter ant. I put it in a plain test tube set up. Now here is my question…

How should I feed them without stressing them out as much as possible? Should I give them an formicarium? I want to disturb them as little as possible, but also I don’t want to risk mold growing or workers/queen starving to death.

Aquaexploder

Re: NEW ANT QUESTION

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:34 pm

How much room in the test tube? Make sure they have ample room. Usually you don't need to feed them at all until about 7-10 worker, but since you found them out in the open, potentially losing some brood and workers, I would recommend feeding them a drop of honey (tiny amount the tip of a toothpick) on a piece of parchment paper slid into there tube. Possible also drop them a fruit fly on the side as well. If they don't want to eat, that's perfectly fine. Make sure to not leave any food sitting in there tube for more then 5 days or so, you don't want any mold.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:52 pm

Aquaexploder wrote:
How much room in the test tube? Make sure they have ample room. Usually you don't need to feed them at all until about 7-10 worker, but since you found them out in the open, potentially losing some brood and workers, I would recommend feeding them a drop of honey (tiny amount the tip of a toothpick) on a piece of parchment paper slid into there tube. Possible also drop them a fruit fly on the side as well. If they don't want to eat, that's perfectly fine. Make sure to not leave any food sitting in there tube for more then 5 days or so, you don't want any mold.
Couldn’t have said it better :D
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:08 am

Aquaexploder wrote:
I can agree with this reply. As a bonus you could darken the room to avoid stressing them from a change in brightness, keep a steady hand while handling the testtube and perhaps even wrap the testtube in a kitchen paper towel or piece of cloth to cushion the testtube.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.