few questions on oregon ants

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: few questions on oregon ants

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 am

Aphaenogaster occidentalis. Do you remember the date that you caught her? I don't have too many records for this species in my nuptial flight database.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=*****
Here are all the nuptial flights I've recorded within about 500 miles of central Oregon. It's in HTML format, so if you download it and open it, it should work great in your web browser. Oh wait... I need to update this so it includes ants that were found in these surrounding states, but did not have coordinate data... It will be ready in one moment.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:38 am

Ok! Updated. :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

daxling12

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:26 am

i got the date i caught her on my phone 10/9/16 srry about the original date being so off got oct and sep confused
it was at the store i worked recently renovations had finished 1-2 weeks ago and i was mopping at about 8-9 oclock i found her in the area i had just mopped stuck in the water i think she may have had a colony and lost it due to the renovations and that's why i found her at that time

and thank you so much for that ive looked everywhere for any flights and its soo hard to pinpoint them and after i lost my queen i got really down im keeping the brood till they pass on but its been very unaccommodating trying to figure out when i can start looking for another queen to start again with all the info ive gathered in the last few months

daxling12

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 am

oh i see from what i can tell in your chart looks like most 90% flights come march or later atleast from the reports you gathered good to know i thought that most flights started in February

SpeciesK

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:11 am

I don't know what the program was but I once saw someone focus a digital picture using just software. The picture was very blurry and they made it focused. They didn't think it was a big deal but I thought it was amazing. Maybe you know someone who knows someone who can focus it?