Question about polygynos queens

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

LIExoticBreeders

Question about polygynos queens

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:16 pm

Hey everyone. So while I was on an ant looking trip today, I found a bunch of Camponotus subbarbatus queens, male elates, and even a bunch of workers. I did a bunch of research, and found that this species of carpenter ant is naturally polygynos, and that they normally keep their wings on for the duration of their life. So here's my question. Being that there are a bunch of workers, and not just male and female elates, there's a good chance it was just an active colony I found. So, if it was an active colony, and I took 8 queens out of about 30 that I saw, well these ants that I grabbed still produce eggs, and raise them, and start new colonies?
Just as a clarification, I only saw the workers in the ground AFTER I had already grabbed the queens. Normally, if I see a queen, and there are workers, I assume they are a colony and leave them alone. I do not want to take a queen away from a colony. So, I try to leave ant queens I find with a colony. And if I find a lone queen, I will search everywhere to make sure she doesn't have a colony somewhere. So, just making sure I clarify that. When I flipped over the log, there were a bunch of queens and male elates, and I just started grabbing a bunch of them.
So, I just want to know if polygynos queens will start new colonies if taken away from the existing colony. Thanks everyone.
26 colonies and counting. Ant love forever.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Question about polygynos queens

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:19 pm

LIExoticBreeders wrote:
Hey everyone. So while I was on an ant looking trip today, I found a bunch of Camponotus subbarbatus queens, male elates, and even a bunch of workers. I did a bunch of research, and found that this species of carpenter ant is naturally polygynos, and that they normally keep their wings on for the duration of their life. So here's my question. Being that there are a bunch of workers, and not just male and female elates, there's a good chance it was just an active colony I found. So, if it was an active colony, and I took 8 queens out of about 30 that I saw, well these ants that I grabbed still produce eggs, and raise them, and start new colonies?
Just as a clarification, I only saw the workers in the ground AFTER I had already grabbed the queens. Normally, if I see a queen, and there are workers, I assume they are a colony and leave them alone. I do not want to take a queen away from a colony. So, I try to leave ant queens I find with a colony. And if I find a lone queen, I will search everywhere to make sure she doesn't have a colony somewhere. So, just making sure I clarify that. When I flipped over the log, there were a bunch of queens and male elates, and I just started grabbing a bunch of them.
So, I just want to know if polygynos queens will start new colonies if taken away from the existing colony. Thanks everyone.
Just reading first sentence, here is your answer. You could have found the preparing for flights, therefore if this is true none are mated and need to be released or put with males to mate, as polgynos species will mate in captivity.

Also, no they cannot start their owns colonies unless fed. I would take wild workers and give them to them if they are truly queens and not in mated alates as nice thing about this species is if all workers die you can add wild workers.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

LIExoticBreeders

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:24 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LIExoticBreeders wrote:
Just reading first sentence, here is your answer. You could have found the preparing for flights, therefore if this is true none are mated and need to be released or put with males to mate, as polgynos species will mate in captivity.

Also, no they cannot start their owns colonies unless fed. I would take wild workers and give them to them if they are truly queens and not in mated alates as nice thing about this species is if all workers die you can add wild workers.
Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm gonna go back tomorrow to look where I found them and see about grabbing some of the males I found, and workers, just in case. Since there were workers, I don't know if they were preparing for flights or if they were just an existing colony. So, I will grab a bunch of workers. Maybe 20 or so each one. Thanks for the info.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:29 pm

LIExoticBreeders wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LIExoticBreeders wrote:

Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm gonna go back tomorrow to look where I found them and see about grabbing some of the males I found, and workers, just in case. Since there were workers, I don't know if they were preparing for flights or if they were just an existing colony. So, I will grab a bunch of workers. Maybe 20 or so each one. Thanks for the info.
Workers will be there when flights occur btw

LIExoticBreeders

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:31 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LIExoticBreeders wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Thanks for the info. 😀

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:19 pm

LIExoticBreeders wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:31 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LIExoticBreeders wrote:

Thanks for the info. 😀
No problem, and I wish you luck :)