SO excited.

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

LIExoticBreeders

SO excited.

Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:58 pm

Hey everyone. So in the last 2 days, I've caught 4 different queens. All different species. Which is amazing. I've only positively identified one so far, and that was a queen false honey pot ant, prenolepis imparis. So excited to see this colony grow, as long as she is mated. Since I began this journey into ant keeping this has been a species I really wanted to keep. So hopefully she's mated. I'll post updates as time goes on. 😀 😀
26 colonies and counting. Ant love forever.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: SO excited.

Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:32 am

LIExoticBreeders wrote:
Hey everyone. So in the last 2 days, I've caught 4 different queens. All different species. Which is amazing. I've only positively identified one so far, and that was a queen false honey pot ant, prenolepis imparis. So excited to see this colony grow, as long as she is mated. Since I began this journey into ant keeping this has been a species I really wanted to keep. So hopefully she's mated. I'll post updates as time goes on. 😀 😀
Nice! If you caught 4 now, think how many you could see in summer! Any news?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

LIExoticBreeders

Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:06 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:32 am
LIExoticBreeders wrote:
Nice! If you caught 4 now, think how many you could see in summer! Any news?
Not yet. With the exception of a citronella ant queen whose gaster has tripled in size in the last few days, no other queens. Not yet. But it got really cold. So the last few days of ant hunting have been a bust. Did find some emerald wasps hibernating in a log though. That was awesome. They're beautiful.

RespectforAnts

Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:51 pm

I am sorry to say this but prenolepis imparis has an extremely high mortality rate I have had one die on me before and I hope yours will work out better but just be ready in case. Good Luck
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

LIExoticBreeders

Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:12 pm

RespectforAnts wrote:
I am sorry to say this but prenolepis imparis has an extremely high mortality rate I have had one die on me before and I hope yours will work out better but just be ready in case. Good Luck
Thank you. We will see what happens.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:04 pm

LIExoticBreeders wrote:
RespectforAnts wrote:
High mortality? Like due to stress(easily stressed), buildup of waste(Cough all Camponotus), or low fertility?

ANThonyluscious

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:40 am

RespectforAnts wrote:
can we get some reference to your source of information? Is this based on personal experience? Not that I don't trust you, random stranger on the internet... :lol:
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D

SYUTEO

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:20 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LIExoticBreeders wrote:
RespectforAnts wrote:
High mortality? Like due to stress(easily stressed), buildup of waste(Cough all Camponotus), or low fertility?
From what I know, it's very hard for them to get their second generation of workers and they grow very slowly (egg to worker takes 3 months!! That's longer than most Camponotus species and comparable to much bigger species like Dinomyrmex or Harpegnathos)

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:18 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:20 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LIExoticBreeders wrote:

From what I know, it's very hard for them to get their second generation of workers and they grow very slowly (egg to worker takes 3 months!! That's longer than most Camponotus species and comparable to much bigger species like Dinomyrmex or Harpegnathos)
My Odonotmachus take 4 months with heat…

So they are similar to dorymyrmex dureni(Sources are what I have read in several journals)are hard to make past 2nd and 3rd gen…

RespectforAnts

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:13 pm

It was some care sheet post on formiculture.com said that mortality rate for newly mated queen ants was 95%-100% but that might not be that high but still maybe its because they are super pone to stress. link to sheet https://www.formiculture.com/topic/7779-care-sheet-prenolepis-imparis/#:~:text=Mortality%20rate%20for%20newly%20mated,arrive%20in%20a%20couple%20months.
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2