SO excited.

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

RespectforAnts

Re: SO excited.

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 pm

oops It did not get a link oh well search up queen mortality rate of prenolepis imparis it should be the first thing that pops up.
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:11 am

RespectforAnts wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:13 pm
It was some care sheet post on formiculture.com said that mortality rate for newly mated queen ants was 95%-100% but that might not be that high but still maybe its because they are super pone to stress. link to sheet https://www.formiculture.com/topic/7779-care-sheet-prenolepis-imparis/#:~:text=Mortality%20rate%20for%20newly%20mated,arrive%20in%20a%20couple%20months.
What is natural mortality rate in the wild? If it was that high, the species would likely go extinct in the wild. If a colony release 1000 alates, only about 100 survive to make a founding chamber(According to research done in 90s on S. invicta). Now, if you institute a mortality rate of 95%, 5 queens survive, an let’s say 4 of the remaining are mated. Only 3 make it to nantics, and 2 are eliminated through colony wars with another species. Now one remains… even if the colony does make it one year, they could die during hibernation.

I would assume that mortality rate is not proven, and that person estimated it based on experience. They would had to had catch several hundred queens to prove that rate, as only 100 would not have multiple trials.

Please note my paragraph was done on outdated research on invasive species and predatory rates in the area that the people studied this(Texas)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:08 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
RespectforAnts wrote:
It was some care sheet post on formiculture.com said that mortality rate for newly mated queen ants was 95%-100% but that might not be that high but still maybe its because they are super pone to stress. link to sheet https://www.formiculture.com/topic/7779-care-sheet-prenolepis-imparis/#:~:text=Mortality%20rate%20for%20newly%20mated,arrive%20in%20a%20couple%20months.
What is natural mortality rate in the wild? If it was that high, the species would likely go extinct in the wild. If a colony release 1000 alates, only about 100 survive to make a founding chamber(According to research done in 90s on S. invicta). Now, if you institute a mortality rate of 95%, 5 queens survive, an let’s say 4 of the remaining are mated. Only 3 make it to nantics, and 2 are eliminated through colony wars with another species. Now one remains… even if the colony does make it one year, they could die during hibernation.

I would assume that mortality rate is not proven, and that person estimated it based on experience. They would had to had catch several hundred queens to prove that rate, as only 100 would not have multiple trials.

Please note my paragraph was done on outdated research on invasive species and predatory rates in the area that the people studied this(Texas)
It's likely that the mortality rate is much lower in the wild due to any possible factors that are hard to replicate in captivity.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:45 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
RespectforAnts wrote:

It's likely that the mortality rate is much lower in the wild due to any possible factors that are hard to replicate in captivity.
Why don’t people try Odonotmachus queen test tubes(Test tube with a bit of substrate) so it’s more natural?

SYUTEO

Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:39 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Why don’t people try Odonotmachus queen test tubes(Test tube with a bit of substrate) so it’s more natural?
Maybe you should try this the next time you caught one, if it works you may change the whole antkeeping community.

And this is kinda like the case with Carebara diversa where the queen's mortality rate is dropped by adding substrate.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:58 am

SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Maybe you should try this the next time you caught one, if it works you may change the whole antkeeping community.

And this is kinda like the case with Carebara diversa where the queen's mortality rate is dropped by adding substrate.
It raises Odontomachus success, in my experience. What months do they fly? Will certainly be on the lookout.

SYUTEO

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:13 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

It raises Odontomachus success, in my experience. What months do they fly? Will certainly be on the lookout.
I think they're nuptial flights are ending, they usually fly very early in the year. Usually starting at February, you might have to wait until next year to try this out or get extremely lucky.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:25 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:13 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

I think they're nuptial flights are ending, they usually fly very early in the year. Usually starting at February, you might have to wait until next year to try this out or get extremely lucky.
In my area I found none. Looked through the entire febuary, march, and part of April. They fly at night?(Thats when I look

RespectforAnts

Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:43 pm

Yea you are probably right. It probably ment in captivity or they had their numbers wrong or me or someone else just did not read it properly. It was probably my fault I shouldve checked it out more. Anyway thanks for clearing that up. :D
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2