Quiz Me!

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Martialis

Re: Quiz Me!

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:55 am

I've found records for Dolichoderus and plan to look for them in the late spring to summer.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:54 am

Martialis wrote:I've found records for Dolichoderus and plan to look for them in the late spring to summer.
This would definitely be one of those native species that nobody on the continent is keeping. :)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Yep. :) If possible, I plan to get multiple queens, as they are a genus that can exhibit high polygny.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Martialis wrote:Yep. :) If possible, I plan to get multiple queens, as they are a genus that can exhibit high polygny.
There are few records for nuptial flights of this genus, but they seem to have a similar schedule to Camponotus and Lasius interjectus (May and June, sometimes August.) They like to inhabit wetlands.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.