Animals that can coexist with common ant species?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

ANThonyluscious

Animals that can coexist with common ant species?

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:03 am

Hey guys, I remember in the AntsCanada terrarium for the golden empire (yellow crazy ants?) he introduced a crawfish (cray? Crawdad?) to eat the ants that perished into the water feature of his outworld. The water acted as population control and the CRAW-critter was waste disposal. Are there any other examples of this we as antkeepers can replicate in captivity? Any reptiles, amphibious creatures, fish, arachnids, insects, plant life such as mosses or leaves too! I also remember a type of leaf that he used in a tank that he said the decay helped as an antibiotic, if anyone can help name a few things for me that would be great!
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D

AM1C39

Re: Animals that can coexist with common ant species?

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:01 am

Mites and springtails are some of the most comon creatures ant keepers will have living with their colonies.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

ANThonyluscious

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:24 am

Those are the small dirt creatures correct? Soil creatures rather. Those are helpful indeed, I also want to hear of other things like the "water lettuce" that helps rid ammonia in the water...
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:54 pm

ANThonyluscious wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:24 am
Those are the small dirt creatures correct? Soil creatures rather. Those are helpful indeed, I also want to hear of other things like the "water lettuce" that helps rid ammonia in the water...
Soil creatures need outside soil, which could bring in mites.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

ANThonyluscious

Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:02 am

So, it's going to be a risk bringing in outside soil for the soil creatures, what is the best way to determine whether the soil could pose a risk to my ant colony? Is it recommended that I take soil from my own garden over soil from around the neighborhood? Once I have my soil is it okay to let a food insect inhabit the terrarium first and inspect for parasitic or dangerous mites later?

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:11 am

ANThonyluscious wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:02 am
So, it's going to be a risk bringing in outside soil for the soil creatures, what is the best way to determine whether the soil could pose a risk to my ant colony? Is it recommended that I take soil from my own garden over soil from around the neighborhood? Once I have my soil is it okay to let a food insect inhabit the terrarium first and inspect for parasitic or dangerous mites later?
Any soil could pose a risk, you may have to take a chance first to get soil creatures, or possibly just use springtails. Feeder insects should be killed(Excluding flightless fruit flies) as even crickets can kill workers by struggling. If it is meant to coexist, feeder insects usually die within a month or two in adulthood.

Also, you could add live Dubai roaches for food and possibly a clean up crew. I do think roaches will eat the same thing isopods will.

ANThonyluscious

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:03 am

Right, I'm simply hoping to have a helping hand in clean up, thank you for the suggestion of Dubai Roaches!

SYUTEO

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:35 am

They're Dubia roaches not Dubai roaches, they come from South America not Dubai. And also springtail farms exist.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:23 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
They're Dubia roaches not Dubai roaches, they come from South America not Dubai. And also springtail farms exist.
Didn’t mean to offend anyone, that’s how I typed it, but I got autocorrected.
Sorry about that.

SYUTEO

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:54 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:23 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
Didn’t mean to offend anyone, that’s how I typed it, but I got autocorrected.
Sorry about that.
Oh