MATING Experiment

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

ajolia

MATING Experiment

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:05 pm

Hi guys, I recently caught a Prenolepis imparis female alate, 4 male alates and 5 workers. I have separated 2 males into another test tube hoping that they will change pheromones and will eventually not be recognized. My intent is to see if ants can mate within colony.

Please let me know if anyone knows anything about this. Can winter ants or ants in general mate in colony?
Currently Keeping:
-Camponotus Castaneus
-Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
-Aphaenogaster Picea
-Tapinoma Sessile

cosmo1190

Re: MATING Experiment

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:46 pm

ajolia wrote:
Hi guys, I recently caught a Prenolepis imparis female alate, 4 male alates and 5 workers. I have separated 2 males into another test tube hoping that they will change pheromones and will eventually not be recognized. My intent is to see if ants can mate within colony.

Please let me know if anyone knows anything about this. Can winter ants or ants in general mate in colony?
That's cool,i will be looking forward to this
:mrgreen:

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-1 Tapinoma Melanocephalum
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

:mrgreen:

SYUTEO

Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:20 pm

ajolia wrote:

It's near impossible to get ants to mate in captivity.

Only some species of ants will mate in the nest, usually the species with wingless queens such as army ants.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:51 am

SYUTEO wrote:
ajolia wrote:

Only some species of ants will mate in the nest, usually the species with wingless queens such as army ants.
Actually, there is quite a few ants who it is possible to get to mate in captivity, but using inhumane ways…
If I rember correctly, Hybrid Solenopsis, black crazy ants, and Argentine ants without killing any males or females.

“A few polgynos species will mate in captvity” -E.O. Wilson’s the ants. I swear this is the only book I quote lol
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

ajolia

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Thank you yall, I will be putting them in a terrarium though so hopefully I can also replicate their natural habitat. But only an experiment so fun stuff.
Currently Keeping:
-Camponotus Castaneus
-Aphaenogaster Picea
-Tapinoma Sessile

SYUTEO

Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:44 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:51 am
SYUTEO wrote:
ajolia wrote:

Actually, there is quite a few ants who it is possible to get to mate in captivity, but using inhumane ways…
If I rember correctly, Hybrid Solenopsis, black crazy ants, and Argentine ants without killing any males or females.

“A few polgynos species will mate in captvity” -E.O. Wilson’s the ants. I swear this is the only book I quote lol
If I remeber correctly, Tetramorium bicarinatum can inbreed in the colony.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:01 pm

ajolia wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:19 pm
Thank you yall, I will be putting them in a terrarium though so hopefully I can also replicate their natural habitat. But only an experiment so fun stuff.
Camponotus can mate in captivity in a large enough enclosure….. very large

ajolia

Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Update #1:

I have added 2 new alates. So in total, the 3 queens and 5 males were released in a small formicarium. They spend a day in there and then they started trying to fly. I believe I created a nuptial flight in captivity.

However, this lasted for two days. I believe it might be heading towards success because one of the alates is trying to break off her wings and 3 of the males are dead. I believe the males mated with the 1 alate. Only time will tell for sure. Very anxious.
Currently Keeping:
-Camponotus Castaneus
-Aphaenogaster Picea
-Tapinoma Sessile

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:33 am

ajolia wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:20 pm
Update #1:

I have added 2 new alates. So in total, the 3 queens and 5 males were released in a small formicarium. They spend a day in there and then they started trying to fly. I believe I created a nuptial flight in captivity.

However, this lasted for two days. I believe it might be heading towards success because one of the alates is trying to break off her wings and 3 of the males are dead. I believe the males mated with the 1 alate. Only time will tell for sure. Very anxious.
I mated alates break off wings also, and males(in my experience) always die in captivity within 24 hours. What spieces? I might be able to tell you if that species mates multiple times like invicta (3-5 times) or mates only once.

ajolia

Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:13 am

They are Prenolepis Imparis, AKA Winter ants
Currently Keeping:
-Camponotus Castaneus
-Aphaenogaster Picea
-Tapinoma Sessile