need advice with a barrier ASAP

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

MichiganAnts

need advice with a barrier ASAP

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:51 pm

**ADVICE NEEDED**
ok so i tried to give my colony in my tackle box a little snack since they are nocturnal. and a worker manged to get over my extra virgin olive oil barrier. i got her back in, but i think i mangled her right rear leg. did i just not apply enough? or did i not make the barrier wide enough? i put a thin layer about 1/2 an inch wide (the walls are only about an inch high). should i just cover the entire wall in oil so they cant walk on it?
they are camponotus pennsylvanicus if that helps

AntLove5Ever

Re: need advice with a barrier ASAP

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:55 pm

:)
xW1Z25x wrote:**ADVICE NEEDED**
ok so i tried to give my colony in my tackle box a little snack since they are nocturnal. and a worker manged to get over my extra virgin olive oil barrier. i got her back in, but i think i mangled her right rear leg. did i just not apply enough? or did i not make the barrier wide enough? i put a thin layer about 1/2 an inch wide (the walls are only about an inch high). should i just cover the entire wall in oil so they cant walk on it?
they are camponotus pennsylvanicus if that helps

So, real quick just grab some baby powder, and cotton, and dab it on to the olive oil, that should work as a temporary barrier until you can get something better.

Batspiderfish

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:11 am

Baby powder will be useless if it is saturated with anything like an oil or liquid. If one kind of barrier doesn't work, try another. There are probably lots of edges on a tackle box which are easy to climb, and why you don't see people using them.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Chewyrockafeller

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:08 pm

The GAN Farmer I picked up from had colony deaths after using the baby power, alcohol method. He swears by straight up motor oil. I think the container material makes a big difference too. The cheaper the plastic the 'rougher' it is at an ants level. Which is why quality acrylic and glass are surfaces the ants seems to not grip as well, at least once you add a barrier to it.

Serafine

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:40 am

Did you try Vaseline? Or Fluon?

MichiganAnts

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:34 pm

this can be closed

Batspiderfish

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:54 pm

Chewyrockafeller wrote:The GAN Farmer I picked up from had colony deaths after using the baby power, alcohol method. He swears by straight up motor oil. I think the container material makes a big difference too. The cheaper the plastic the 'rougher' it is at an ants level. Which is why quality acrylic and glass are surfaces the ants seems to not grip as well, at least once you add a barrier to it.
I've used talcum powder for years, and it's only any harm if you apply it too thick, which causes the powder to be knocked off where ants can become coated in it. Probably much safer and more effective than oils and paraffins.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.