Hubernation time here in uk

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

GriffinAnt

Hubernation time here in uk

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 am

so its now hybernation time here in the uk. Last year was easy as queens just had eggs no workers and where in tubes.
This year i have 7 Lauis niger Queens in tubes with eggs ready for gan project next year,thay easy to hybernate i just put them in the crisper in the fridge.

How ever My lasius Niger Colonly that lives in a hybredd nest and which i brood boasted this summer and now has over 50 eggs wont be so easy to hybernate. here in UK we dont have cellers or basements so i cant do that. and this year i have a new central heating system. so cant stay in house.I also dont have a Garage or outside shed etc so iam a bit stuck. Same goes for my Messor Barbouers who live in Omni Nest.

Can someone please give me some ideas How to hybernate my ants this year please. :D

Lasius

Re: Hubernation time here in uk

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 am

Do you have a spare room at all

GriffinAnt

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:56 am

no i dont i thought of that and keeping it cold but only real place i can do that is the bathroom. whichi surpose i could do as iam ex millitary and cold dont bother me really and its not like i spend hrs in the bathroom. what do people think ?

Lasius

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:14 am

that could work im facing a very similar problem with the same species

i had two ideas mainly
have my window wide open in my room but keep a blind or curtains closed and put the ants on the windowsill
or leave them in the shed but you dont have one

have You got an attic

GriffinAnt

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:29 am

attic no good as heat rises

Lasius

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:54 pm

i which case the bathroom or the windowsill are your best bet

GriffinAnt

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:02 am

ok so the 7 queens for GAN project next year are in th fridge doing well and my 2 colinies doing goo on bathroom floor in a cool 10 deg ,thanks for your input chaps :D

GriffinAnt

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:24 am

Pleased to report that all 7 queens i caught last spetember have survied hybernation and after a week of being moved to bathroom are now in the draw in the bedroom.

Both nests of Messor barberous and Lisus Niger have also survied, the messors are on my insect table in bedroom (along with feeder insects and posters etc of insects lol) and seem to have a cluth of major pupi.
The Lisus are still in bathroom but now off the floor at a cosy 19 deg c and are slowly becoming ative and feeding and drinking well, they also will be moved to the insect table end of week with there new outworld for this year.
Hope that in May i can become cornwalls first GAN farmer but time will tell.

Ant love forever :D