Questions from a n00b

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

PotatoDelight

Questions from a n00b

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:34 pm

Allright I really want to start an ant colony from square 1, finding the queen and everything. I know it is too late in the year to do so now but i want to prepare my knowledge organs with informations to prepare for next. So ive got a few questions ranging in categories. In order to keep answering these questions (and reading answers) easy, i will number them. (I live in a temperate area just outside of Louisville KY)

1) I really really want a polymorphic colony and i quickly became fond of carpenter ants (because of the ease and appearance) unfortunately i dont want to wait 2 years for a decent sized colony. I would like to get a species that is polymorphic (with majors minors and medians) similar to carpenter ants. I dont want it growing to fast tho. Any species that fit that description near me?

2) So im kinda confused on how the test tube process works... ive read up on it and i keep getting mixed signals. When you get workers at the start do you move them into a larger area? If so what? If no then how do i feed them? How much do i feed them? If someone could describe IN STUPID AMOUNTS OF DETAIL these processes i would greatly appreciate it.

3) For when the colony gets bigger, is it an option to keep live plants in the outworld? Or will the ants just eat them? Can i just put dirt and sand in them for the colony to create its own hills and stuff? If yes, how much should i put in?

4) What barrier works best? Baby powder or Vasaline? Y not both? Do i need to replace these? How regularly?

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions. Unless you answer by 11 tonight EST i will not be able to respond by morning. Thank you so much :)

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Questions from a n00b

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:43 pm

PotatoDelight wrote:Allright I really want to start an ant colony from square 1, finding the queen and everything. I know it is too late in the year to do so now but i want to prepare my knowledge organs with informations to prepare for next. So ive got a few questions ranging in categories. In order to keep answering these questions (and reading answers) easy, i will number them. (I live in a temperate area just outside of Louisville KY)

1) I really really want a polymorphic colony and i quickly became fond of carpenter ants (because of the ease and appearance) unfortunately i dont want to wait 2 years for a decent sized colony. I would like to get a species that is polymorphic (with majors minors and medians) similar to carpenter ants. I dont want it growing to fast tho. Any species that fit that description near me?

2) So im kinda confused on how the test tube process works... ive read up on it and i keep getting mixed signals. When you get workers at the start do you move them into a larger area? If so what? If no then how do i feed them? How much do i feed them? If someone could describe IN STUPID AMOUNTS OF DETAIL these processes i would greatly appreciate it.

3) For when the colony gets bigger, is it an option to keep live plants in the outworld? Or will the ants just eat them? Can i just put dirt and sand in them for the colony to create its own hills and stuff? If yes, how much should i put in?

4) What barrier works best? Baby powder or Vasaline? Y not both? Do i need to replace these? How regularly?

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions. Unless you answer by 11 tonight EST i will not be able to respond by morning. Thank you so much :)
Welcome to the AntsCanada Ants Forum (ACAF). I'm sure otehrs will chime right in and answer those questions for ya. I did want to point out that you can use the SEARCH feature of the forums to look for any topic or subject that may have been posted in the past. It will save you time instead of reading every posting over the last year.

You can always find the SEARCH button at the top of every forum page!

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

PotatoDelight

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:50 pm

MadVampy wrote:
PotatoDelight wrote:Allright I really want to start an ant colony from square 1, finding the queen and everything. I know it is too late in the year to do so now but i want to prepare my knowledge organs with informations to prepare for next. So ive got a few questions ranging in categories. In order to keep answering these questions (and reading answers) easy, i will number them. (I live in a temperate area just outside of Louisville KY)

Welcome to the AntsCanada Ants Forum (ACAF). I'm sure otehrs will chime right in and answer those questions for ya. I did want to point out that you can use the SEARCH feature of the forums to look for any topic or subject that may have been posted in the past. It will save you time instead of reading every posting over the last year.

You can always find the SEARCH button at the top of every forum page!

Thanks for the tip. Also, im not sure if im replying to you because im new to this forum ( and because each websites forum is its own special snowflake)

PotatoDelight

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:39 pm

I think i may not have posted this in the right topic so im going to post it there