Hundreds of Queens

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Hundreds of Queens

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:58 am

Hello guys, the summer is comming to my country(Brazil) and the queens are showing up. Today when I arrived home I noticed A LOT of queen ant's of a small specie, I've seen more than 50 queens in a very small radius, probably much much more around that I haven't seen. Yesterday rained a lot and today is very hot, if u guys want some pictures I can provide some. Is this number of queens normal? Please share your experiences, thanks.

Batspiderfish

Re: Hundreds of Queens

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:31 pm

There are times and places where you can't not find queens. :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JPSMedeiros

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Yeah, most of the times I can't find queen ant's,but now...

Before the night I went outside to check the Queens and I noticed that they were gone. And then I noticed small holes on the ground, the ant's were digging their chambers, I could see them going outside to leave the small pieces of ground. It's very cool to see that happening in the natural world.

JPSMedeiros

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Just wondering if 20 holes on the ground with queens will give me 20 new colonies, this may become a mess in the future.

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 pm

It's better to leave them alone after they've made it so far as to make their founding chamber (in my opinion).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:42 am

JPSMedeiros wrote:Just wondering if 20 holes on the ground with queens will give me 20 new colonies, this may become a mess in the future.
I suspect some of those will not survive. For the ones that do survive, it will be a case of "which colony can grow the fastest". Many times in situations like this, these tightly-packed colonies will eventually face off in territorial battles leaving the strongest colony alive.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator