What are these ants?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Xadrian

What are these ants?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Hello I am new here. I have some ants that I would like to identify. They are extremely active and from what I can tell I have a huge colony around my house.

They are so active to the point they are stealing honey/nectar from a wild bumblebee hive that moved into one of my bird houses.

I don’t want to have to poison them, but they are starting to get out of control. I have included a picture. Any help?

They are starting to explore in my house, but I have to use vinegar to wipe down their trails.

Thank you!

Camponotus

Re: What are these ants?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:35 am

Picture please?

Hawkeye

Re: What are these ants?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:07 am

Xadrian wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 pm
Hello I am new here. I have some ants that I would like to identify. They are extremely active and from what I can tell I have a huge colony around my house.

They are so active to the point they are stealing honey/nectar from a wild bumblebee hive that moved into one of my bird houses.

I don’t want to have to poison them, but they are starting to get out of control. I have included a picture. Any help?

They are starting to explore in my house, but I have to use vinegar to wipe down their trails.

Thank you!
Wow, they're actually stealing honey? That's bold! They might be too fast for the bumblebees to attack them? Could be crazy ants, but it is hard to tell without a picture. Attaching a pic to your message doesn't work. You have to upload the picture somewhere, like an imgur account, and then (direct) link to it, like so:
[ img] direct link [ /img]
I had to put spaces in there to have it show up as text. Obviously, remove the spaces if you want to post a picture.

Hope that helps