Queen Ant Hunting

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ants4life

Queen Ant Hunting

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:59 am

Hello, for a while now I have been looking for queen ants. I have caught two queen ants so far this season, I used to look everyday until I finally found a camponatus pensivecus queen with wings still attached. I was so excited to finally have a queen sadly though it died after a week of being in the test tube. (Still wondering if I did something wrong) After that happened I kind of gave up ant hunting for a while. But recently I decide to start looking again and I caught a queen today. My question is how are some people saying they are finding 50 queens a day and I'm only catching one a week if I'm lucky? Is it where I live? Or I'm I looking at the wrong times? Or is it just me being inexperienced at looking?

AntsRule

Re: Queen Ant Hunting

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:12 pm

I was having trouble finding multiple queens like you. Then I got good at it and can find dozens. Here are some tips, 1# check pools, under rocks, and bodies of water for trapped queens, 2# make sure you are looking the right days- warm days after big rains are usually good, 3# you can make black light traps that will work of some sp.(google to learn how), 4# always carry a queen container with you, 5# check this forums nuptial flight topics too see if anyone near you has seen any flights, #6 find out what sp. are flying and google too see what weather conditions they fly in and the time of day they fly. I hardly look for queens anymore because I can find HUNDREDS of queens in my pool. :D If it does not work out you can always see if there is a GAN farmer near you that you can purchase from. Good luck and happy anting! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Ants4life

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:42 am

Thank you both, this information is very helpful! I'm very excited to start hunting for queens again.

perryismyname

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:19 pm

AntsRule wrote:I was having trouble finding multiple queens like you. Then I got good at it and can find dozens. Here are some tips, 1# check pools, under rocks, and bodies of water for trapped queens, 2# make sure you are looking the right days- warm days after big rains are usually good, 3# you can make black light traps that will work of some sp.(google to learn how), 4# always carry a queen container with you, 5# check this forums nuptial flight topics too see if anyone near you has seen any flights, #6 find out what sp. are flying and google too see what weather conditions they fly in and the time of day they fly. I hardly look for queens anymore because I can find HUNDREDS of queens in my pool. :D If it does not work out you can always see if there is a GAN farmer near you that you can purchase from. Good luck and happy anting! :D
I have also been having troubles finding queens for basically the same reasons, I was just reading over this and I was wondering is there a good trustworthy website to follow step #6? I have tried googling around to find one that knows what I am looking for, but all I usually find is pest control and the mating process.
Thanks -Perry

perryismyname

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:23 pm

I forgot to talk about this also, have not had rain where I live for the past 2-3 weeks is that going to be a big problem for nuptial flights and a reason why I have not found any ants lately.
Thanks -Perry

nightxwolf88

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:00 pm

perryismyname wrote:I forgot to talk about this also, have not had rain where I live for the past 2-3 weeks is that going to be a big problem for nuptial flights and a reason why I have not found any ants lately.
I would think so. Most flights occur when it has recently rained.

AntsRule

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:31 pm

Well about #6 I have never found a really good web site for all sp. since there are thousands of sp. so just google around. Since you have not had rain it also might mean that there will be MAJOR flights since so many sp. are waiting. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

larynx

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:30 pm

perryismyname wrote: I have also been having troubles finding queens for basically the same reasons, I was just reading over this and I was wondering is there a good trustworthy website to follow step #6? I have tried googling around to find one that knows what I am looking for, but all I usually find is pest control and the mating process.
Use these along with google, and cross reference any info you find.
Link >>> https://www.antweb.org/
Link >>> http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Welcome_to_AntWiki
If you need help using "antweb.org" let me know. It can be a little hard to use at first.
:)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:01 pm

AntsRule wrote:Well about #6 I have never found a really good web site for all sp. since there are thousands of sp. so just google around. Since you have not had rain it also might mean that there will be MAJOR flights since so many sp. are waiting. :D
okay thank you, I am hoping for a major rain soon.
Thanks -Perry

perryismyname

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:01 pm

larynx wrote:
perryismyname wrote: I have also been having troubles finding queens for basically the same reasons, I was just reading over this and I was wondering is there a good trustworthy website to follow step #6? I have tried googling around to find one that knows what I am looking for, but all I usually find is pest control and the mating process.
Use these along with google, and cross reference any info you find.
Link >>> https://www.antweb.org/
Link >>> http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Welcome_to_AntWiki
If you need help using "antweb.org" let me know. It can be a little hard to use at first.
:)
okay thank you. :D
Thanks -Perry