Finding Pheidole in New York

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

nightxwolf88

Finding Pheidole in New York

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:59 pm

So ik its around the time for pheidole flights and I'm sure we have a couple species up here in the northern states. I have seen someone in new jersey post YouTube videos of pheidole flights last July and the July before that. So wanted to ask if anyone had tips on finding these. I have heard flights occur right after a day time rain but I haven't even found a wild colony to observe. Can anyone tell me what kinds of places pheidole like to nest? If there is a flight will I notice a large amount of queens around like when camponotus or tetramorium fly? What are some distinguishing looks of behavior the minor workers have(I'm guessing I'm not gonna find their majors just hanging around)

Batspiderfish

Re: Finding Pheidole in New York

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Weatherant (likely the same person who shot the videos) used to say that Pheidole pilifera would always fly within an hour of rainfall. Pheidole bicarinata seems to fly on hot afternoons regardless of how long ago it rained.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

nightxwolf88

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Boy I should have been looking today on lunch break it was hot here. So how about habitat? I really don't think I have seen them around were I hunt for queens but I'm in a suburban area with woods nearby. Camponotus queens and and tetramorium queens are the only ones i have seen after a flight. Tapinoma sessile colonies are also around me I see them in my front yard.

Exels1

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:32 am

I've caught 9 pheidole queens, all at night. It rains and 20min to an hour I've found them attracted to my front door lamp post or neon business sign. I've spent all day walking around trying to find Queens and coming home with nothing just to see at my front door lamp with pheidole queens right at my house. They are small so they can be overlooked. Found them and I live in the city. Philadelphia Pa

Antzilla

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm

That's cool that you can find pheidols in your area. I am from manitoba, above north dakota. Ever since last year I have been searching for Pheidols but I think none exist in my area and geograpgical location. I am a novice but learning.

nightxwolf88

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:58 pm

I haven't seen any yet in new York but not giving up just gotta find their habitat style near me

Exels1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 am

Yea the conditions have to be just right... Both nights I found them it was around 90 degrees and humid that day. A rain fall and only at night I've found them. I've had my lamp post on and just checked constantly, I've also had a black light set up. You have to look for closely because they are very small and ofcourse have luck on your side. Good Luck

Exels1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:19 am

The time frame was between 8:30pm-11pm. Hope that helps

nightxwolf88

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:42 am

Thanks a lot any little advice helps :) I hopefully will find some cause I got the pheidole phever :lol: