Largest species in USA?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Gregory2455

Re: Largest species in USA?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:41 am

I know the largest in California is Camponotus ocreatus. I would think there are some other Camponotus, Odontomachus, or Atta that are larger than that in either Texas, Arizona, or Florida but I do not know that for sure.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:21 pm

I find Camponotus pennsylvanivus to be quite huge. Not sure how they compare with large Pogonomyrmex workers but Camponotus pennsylvanicus supermajors get quite large and can even be somewhat bigger than the queen.
Ant Love Forever.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:03 pm

I believe and found a source that the Carpenter ant (Camponotus spp)is the largest on the North American continent.
http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Carpenter-Ant

Of course thats only one source.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Gregory2455

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:27 pm

I would count on Atta texana or mexicana queens being the largest ants in the United States.

New2Ants

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:46 pm

While in Florida, I found a giant carpenter ant queen. That was one of the largest ant species I've ever seen. I wish I could have collected her. ;)

Ants4fun

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:30 pm

I believe american army ants,Neivamyrmex sp queens, would be the largest.

nebraskants

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:26 pm

I personally have Camponotus pennsylvanicus and thats the only species that I have any experience with. They are the biggest ants that I have ever seen. I live in Nebraska. I am new here so I am working on getting some pictures and videos uploaded. One of my colonies is only a queen and 10 workers and they take care of a large cricket very easily in 2 days its stripped of all the "good meat".