Questions, questions

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Saeyoung

Questions, questions

Mon May 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a Lasuis Umbartus Queen while splitting kindling, I have since been looking everywhere for a host colony for her so I could steal some worker ants/brood but my problem is that I can't seem to actually find any of her acceptable host colonies anywhere. I believe that I am looking in the wrong places, as I'm still very new to Myrmecology and ants in general.

Where do/would you look for L. alienus, L. neoniger, L. pallitarsis? I live in Ontario, close to Toronto. I'm giving myself two more days to find some before I release this Umbartus Queen. If I can't find her some workers in the next two days her chances may be better off on her own. I'm trying to help her, I'm just apparently bad at it.

ultraex2

Re: Questions, questions

Tue May 23, 2017 4:20 pm

I think stumps/fallen logs with bark you can peel back is your best bet - I've found multiple L. alienus colonies behind the bark on stumps and that way you can get some workers + brood, too.

Saeyoung

Re: Questions, questions

Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Alright, I can definitely do that as I'll be out looking for Camponotus noveboracensis soon anyways. I might discover some looking for my favorite queens/colonies.
Thanks for the tips!