Beheaded Queen?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Benjamin

Beheaded Queen?

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:51 am

Ok lets get to the main point. I have had this ant colony of an unknown species for about a week or two. It was doing quite well and is showing promise of becoming a healthy colony. I fed this colony once every two to three days for a week with honey and boiled spiders. Today, I went to check on the colony but what I saw was two shocking parts of the queen. The head was separated from the queen's body.

Does anyone know what happened? Could it be some sort of parasite or disease? Did the workers decapitate the queen? I am clueless. I'm still inexperienced and this is my first ant colony to have ever succeeded its founding stage. Any ideas would be appreciated.

idahoantgirl

Re: Beheaded Queen?

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Benjamin wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:51 am
Ok lets get to the main point. I have had this ant colony of an unknown species for about a week or two. It was doing quite well and is showing promise of becoming a healthy colony. I fed this colony once every two to three days for a week with honey and boiled spiders. Today, I went to check on the colony but what I saw was two shocking parts of the queen. The head was separated from the queen's body.

Does anyone know what happened? Could it be some sort of parasite or disease? Did the workers decapitate the queen? I am clueless. I'm still inexperienced and this is my first ant colony to have ever succeeded its founding stage. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Oh no! That is terrible! I have absolutely no idea but maybe by bumping this someone else will answer
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Canadiananter

Re: Beheaded Queen?

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:23 pm

The queen probably had one of those mysterious deaths and was in the process of being thrown out or fed to the brood