Hello From Western Australia, Perth

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

RainbowUnicornJesus

Hello From Western Australia, Perth

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:23 am

Hello from Western Australia, Perth. Why do I feel like I'm the only person from Perth here :lol: . There's so many people from Sydney. I'm a beginner and I caught my first queen last month which is Iridomyrmex, but I'm planning to catch more this moth, I'm looking for Pheidoles At the moment do anyone have any tips on where to look or when to look?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Hello From Western Australia, Perth

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Welcome to the forums! It is now your job to create a group of ant keepers in Perth!! :)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

idahoantgirl

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:50 pm

RainbowUnicornJesus wrote:Hello from Western Australia, Perth. Why do I feel like I'm the only person from Perth here :lol: . There's so many people from Sydney. I'm a beginner and I caught my first queen last month which is Iridomyrmex, but I'm planning to catch more this moth, I'm looking for Pheidoles At the moment do anyone have any tips on where to look or when to look?
Here are some tips:
1. Go queen hunting right after rain
2. Look near streams and ponds
3. look on sidewalks (They show up nicely there)
4. look in parks
5. look especially in mornings and evenings, but you can find them other times as well
6. Look on breezy days
7. Always carry a test tube with you wherever you go just in case
8. keep your eyes to the ground while going on walks
9. Remember that if you find a queen that still has her wings on, that doesn't mean that she's not fertilized. Collect her anyways.
10. Apparently if you have a blacklight, you can go queen hunting at night and queens are a attracted to the blacklight.

Good luck and I hope I was of some help!

-Idahoantgirl
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:07 pm

RainbowUnicornJesus wrote:Hello from Western Australia, Perth. Why do I feel like I'm the only person from Perth here :lol: . There's so many people from Sydney. I'm a beginner and I caught my first queen last month which is Iridomyrmex, but I'm planning to catch more this moth, I'm looking for Pheidoles At the moment do anyone have any tips on where to look or when to look?

Mikey just put out a Video on the AntsCanada YouTube Channel all about finding those ever elusive queens. Take a look! Also if you haven't already check out the other videos too, especially on setting up your test tubes for your Queens!

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

RainbowUnicornJesus

Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:53 am

Thanks for all the feedbacks people! I found my Iridomyrmex queen in my house she was climbing on the wall :D and it doesn't rain often here in Australia but when ever it does I go for a walk.