Hello from Florida's Panhandle

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

EffinBatman

Hello from Florida's Panhandle

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:50 am

Good morning all!

I am very new to the past time of keeping and raising ants. So new in fact that not only do I not have any formicariums but I also don't have any ants !! Well I have some mail order carpenter ants in a gel AntWorks formicarium but we all know those don't count.

I have taken the time to read almost every post on these forums and watch almost all of the AntsCanada youtube videos. It's now time to look into what kind of setup I want and what kind of ant I should look into raising and this is where I need some advice.

Our apartment is kept somewhere between 68-71 degrees year round. I do not have a room I can turn the ac off in to raise temps for ants. I was thinking about Prenolepis imparis as that seems like an ant that wouldn't mind the temps in the house. But from what I have read and seen that ant isn't very active and I would like to have something to start with that I will enjoy watching and that the wife will not mind having in the house.

My local GAN farmer hase Prenolepis imparis, Camponotus floridanus in stock and if i dont find a queen in the next few months I may look into buying one.

Any advice or suggestions you have for a new person like me is more then welcome.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Hello from Florida's Panhandle

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:54 am

Welcome to the forum. You can create the climate you want by using a heat cable. My home is kept in about the same temperature range as yours, but I have Formica, Camponotus, Pogonomyrmex and Monomorium species all doing just fine.

You just have to be careful not to cook your ants. Start out with the heat cable at a very safe distance and see where the ants decide to stay. For test tube setups, be careful not to flood your ants. The temperature difference between the water-side and the air-side of the test tube sometimes causes water to ooze through the cotton.

Lots to learn, but you will pick it up over time.

Here is a link to a heat cable you may want to consider: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LQUZAM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

EffinBatman

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Thanks for the info ! I have ordered some test tubes already and will look into getting a heating cable. I would love to have a few nests in the house.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Welcome to the AntsCanada Ants Forums! Enjoy and all of us will try to help the best we can. Winter is a slow period for ants so the postings some times take a little time to filter thru.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

EffinBatman

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:01 am

Yea I noticed they are a little slower while everyone hibernates.

I live in an odd area where it's 70 one day and 40 the next. Hoping to catch a few queens this year !

MrUrrutia

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Do you was able to catch some queens?

I'm slowly getting ready for 2017 season, hopefully I will be able to get some queens of Camponotus Floridanus!