New Ant Keeper from Ireland.

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

New Ant Keeper from Ireland.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:09 am

Hi!
My name is Ryan and I am about to start my first Lasius Niger colony and although I am currently re-watching the antcanada tutorials on youtube I was kinda hoping for a few tips for looking after my queen in a test tube setup from personal experience. Little things that someone new would not think of even after doing all the reading and videos break downs. The kind of tips and tricks you get only after owning a colony?

Also I would love to know if there are any other ant keepers or lovers who follow AntsCanada who just so happens to.also be Irish or just currently living in Ireland?

Ryan.
Ants love forever❤
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

antnest8

Re: New Ant Keeper from Ireland.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 am

welcome to the forums and good luck on your lasius queen
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Antmankav

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:57 pm

Im from Dublin starting to think i was the only one 😂
20 lasuis niger queens
19 with eggs
1 with 15+ workers
Messor barbarus on the way :shock:

Hunter36o

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:17 am

No way!! I was thinking the same because I can find no one with the interest. I am from Co. Dublin myself just on the edge before kill and naas 😀

Quick question tho. Have tetramorium flown in your part of our county? I think **** is going to have them fly sometime this week just by the looks of their activities and nest clearances.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Tiarnanm8

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Yo I'm a new ant keeper from Waterford looking for other Irish ant keepers to swap tips and learn from each other :D
Founding colony of Lasius Flavus - 1 Queen and 2 workers

Lasius Niger - 1 Queen and 7 workers

Temnothorax nylanderi - Queen and 30+ workers

Hunter36o

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:18 am

I'm from Dublin myself, what are you looking to know?

Jayelem

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:45 am

Hi Ryan!

I’m Jay, from Carrickmacross. Just started with a Lasius Niger colony which is still in a test tube at the moment. I’m also interested in tips and tricks.

Hunter36o

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Hey that's cool. Have had her since last year's flight or did you get her of someone just recently?

Mine are all still in test tubes too, the most workers in a single test tube is about 23+ and they get fresh food every 2-3 days. I'm just happy to finally have them out of hibernation :lol:

Hunter36o

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:04 am

To my fellow Irish.
As some of you may not know, we have a highly endangered species of ant called the Hairy Wood Ant, Formica Lugubris.

I am currently in contact with Killarney National park in regards to their regulations relating to this ant. If we get the okay, I will be heading that way during flight season to try catched at least 3 queen's. If you are interested let me know and I'll drop estimated dates for when these girls will fly.

Fair warning however. These ants are not for the faint of heart, they are aggressive and will spray acid. They are a difficult species to keep due to the nesting habits and needs and material for keeping them in nests (including during the test tube time) will need to be picked up from the park area. They are keen on particular aphids and are in turn keen on specific trees in their area.

Not only are they endangered internationally that are even worse off in Ireland with only 4 to 5 confirmed strong colonies in the whole country.
They are also Ireland largest species of non invasive ants and are considered an ancient species in Ireland.

I hope some of you become interested in helping these poor beautiful creatures as much as I have.

Hunter36o

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 am

Hey guys, if anyone has an idea of where to find tetramorium caespitum in their area can you help me this flight season? They are also known as pavement ants and are slightly smaller in size then black garden ants, Lasius Niger.
The queens look completely different in my opinion but the level of Lasius and Myrmica in my area they have not exactly given much wriggle room for other ant species.

I would greatly appreciate the help and if needed I will also help with Myrmica queens as a big thank you :) unless your a gan farmer then I'll just have to buy from you :p