New ant keeper and they are EVERYWHERE! ^.^

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Tzakeran

New ant keeper and they are EVERYWHERE! ^.^

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 am

Howdy, I've been turned onto ant keeping since subscribing to AntsCanada on YouTube. Last year I had no luck finding queens, and yet this year... Holey moley! I've got at least 10 queens that I believe are red fire ants (solenopsis Invicta?) And maybe one or two unidentified species to me. To put it in perspective I was in my bathroom and browsing the web, and had what I'm guessing *might* be a minimus minimorium queen crawl up my leg! Looked down and spotted two more on the tile crawling around! I even released one of the infertile *fire ant* queens I had caught about two months ago, and no joke, found two more about five minutes later! Currently I'd like some advice on ways to increase the capability of my camera phone. I know about Pro mode, natural sunlight and having a white background for contrast, and any tips to increase the output/clarity would be appreciated. I'm looking to borrow a quality digital camera for some good shots.

Thank you for your time,

Tzakeran
Camponotus sp./Formica sp./Odontomachus sp.

PTasker15

Re: New ant keeper and they are EVERYWHERE! ^.^

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:18 am

I Just Turn Off All Lights And Block Out Nautral Light Zoom In,Turn On Phone Flashlight And Start Recording.I Take Photos While Recording.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Tzakeran

Re: New ant keeper and they are EVERYWHERE! ^.^

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Aha! I hadn't thought of that! Thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to test it out!
Camponotus sp./Formica sp./Odontomachus sp.