Hello from El Paso, Texas!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Hamqueso

Hello from El Paso, Texas!

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 am

Hello to whoever reads this! 😃 I’m looking to start my own ant farm and I need some help. I’ve been looking for queen ants around my neighborhood in El Paso, Texas but can only find established ant colonies. Could anyone possibly help me better track these elusive queens?

antnest8

Re: Hello from El Paso, Texas!

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

i would just look every day. go on walks and look at the sidewalks. at those well established colonies you can check for alates at the entrances. if you find some you know a nuptial flight is coming.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Killacasas

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 pm

If you are still looking by chance I live in northeast el paso, mccombs and sunvalley area and I have some established colonies that I am more than willing to donate to your ant farm. Not only for your pleasure but much more for mine to help rid my backyard of them. I have multiple established colonies of both fireants as well as the bigger black and red ants. And by multiple I dont mean I have 1 of each and consider that multiple I have a few separate colonies of both types if not than I have 1 gigantic colonie of each one either way you are more than welcome to the lot of them. Let me know asap as if you do not I will be sending then down the river for lack of a better term. Haha thank you and have a great day.

Tinytankard

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Sorry for reviving an old post but I'm in the same shoes. Live in El Paso have been curious about this for a few years now but never actually seen a queen. Id like to find one and put her in a test tube setup before actually buying a fornication. I assume this isn't the best time of year to start this but doesn't help to reach out for help to find some queens.

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:55 am

Tinytankard wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:26 pm
Sorry for reviving an old post but I'm in the same shoes. Live in El Paso have been curious about this for a few years now but never actually seen a queen. Id like to find one and put her in a test tube setup before actually buying a fornication. I assume this isn't the best time of year to start this but doesn't help to reach out for help to find some queens.
There still might be some species flying, especially after a rainshower. A couple of members on the Camponotus Crew thread (see signature) are from your area. They might be able to help.