Hello From Québec

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Dragsteur

Hello From Québec

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi, im Dragsteur and i live un country side québec. about 3 hours north of Otawa

AntsCanada give me the interesse to try and start ant Keeping. Im 27 years old, im a dogs trainer and work on a farm, real one with cows ;).

I am not realy sure what type of ants we got here but i know that evry sunmmer i literaly got a ton of ants inside my house. i only need to manage to catch a queen to start.

I plan to start small with a plaster nest that i will make if i manage to have a queen and she laid egs.

Hope to have fun and learn with you :)

Jadeninja9

Re: Hello From Québec

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 pm

Nice.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

LazarusAC

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:26 am

Bonjour Dragsteur,

I'm in Ottawa so not that far. Just a little over a year in the hobby. My son managed to capture 6 queens last summer and they all produced workers. 4 Camponotus Noveaboracensis and 2 Lasius Neonigers. One Lasius queen died, but I was able to brood boost with the other. About 80 ants in total and in hibernation now. A few more weeks and I'll take them out.

I hope you manage to catch queens yourself this year and maybe someday we can trade or check out each others colonies.

Plaster is not the best for formicariums. Check YouTube for grout formicariums. We made a few different types over the summer and bought others, but the colonies are still too small to move in.

PS: Je parle français aussi, Mai's pas ci bien que l'anglais. ;)
Dario

(4) Camponotus Novaeboreancis {foundling colony}
(1) Lasius Neoniger {foundling colony}

Will230145

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:05 pm

I also speak French May's not it though English, (in English) I just used google, lol :lol:
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus
Founding: Lasius Neoniger
Lasius Claviger
Formica subsericea

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Welcome to the AntsCanada Ants Forums!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Dragsteur

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Thank you all,

I might change plans and build an upright formicarium with sand with a connected outworld or event a ''T'' shape formicarium do they can dig down and have an flat outworld also made of dit or sans. maybe even with a lake. i got tons of imagination and plans that i whant to try. i'll keep you up when i come with design in the correct section when i realy get into desing

Zergswarm

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 am

hey salut! I'm also from quebec, not the city but i live 20mins away from the city when you go towards Montreal. I started to get into ants when i saw that my closest neighbor had serious problems dealing with them. He's a crop farmer and he's just unable to deal with them, so much that he had to get his house under a tent ( i dont recall exactly how its called but i just call it genocide ). At first i tought this guy's problem would have been dealt with but mother nature doesnt give up that easily. Ants moved back in several weeks after and the guy had to do the process again. So this summer i started to look for alternate options in case i had to deal with them also. After binge watching AC videos i felt in love with the idea to live in harmony with ants instead of getting rid of them. Sadly i started a little late so i cant really start a colony since they will just go into hibernation. So far im unequipped but it wont stay that way much longer.
i'm pretty sure the ants he was dealing with were formica, so next spring i'll just roam his lands for queens and start test tubes setups. If anyone got tips for formica im all open.

Ohh by the way, since we come a lot from the same corner, if any of you have any other species I would like to know what kind of terrarium / artificial nest you use. We still have over 90 varieties of ants in Quebec soil so what I think is a good setup is perhaps not the best necessarily. :D
(FR/EN) Quebecer, PC gamer and newly ant enthousiast.

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Dragsteur wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm
Hi, im Dragsteur and i live un country side québec. about 3 hours north of Otawa

AntsCanada give me the interesse to try and start ant Keeping. Im 27 years old, im a dogs trainer and work on a farm, real one with cows ;).

I am not realy sure what type of ants we got here but i know that evry sunmmer i literaly got a ton of ants inside my house. i only need to manage to catch a queen to start.

I plan to start small with a plaster nest that i will make if i manage to have a queen and she laid egs.

Hope to have fun and learn with you :)
All of temperate North America has generally the same ants. Here's a list of common and easy to keep ants-

Lasius neoniger, americanus, brevicornis, pallitarsis, etc.
Formica fusca, subsericea, etc.
Camponotus pennsylvanicus, novaeboracensis, etc.
Tetramorium immigrans
Prenolepis imparis
Solenopsis molesta
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Zergswarm wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 am
hey salut! I'm also from quebec, not the city but i live 20mins away from the city when you go towards Montreal. I started to get into ants when i saw that my closest neighbor had serious problems dealing with them. He's a crop farmer and he's just unable to deal with them, so much that he had to get his house under a tent ( i dont recall exactly how its called but i just call it genocide ). At first i tought this guy's problem would have been dealt with but mother nature doesnt give up that easily. Ants moved back in several weeks after and the guy had to do the process again. So this summer i started to look for alternate options in case i had to deal with them also. After binge watching AC videos i felt in love with the idea to live in harmony with ants instead of getting rid of them. Sadly i started a little late so i cant really start a colony since they will just go into hibernation. So far im unequipped but it wont stay that way much longer.
i'm pretty sure the ants he was dealing with were formica, so next spring i'll just roam his lands for queens and start test tubes setups. If anyone got tips for formica im all open.

Ohh by the way, since we come a lot from the same corner, if any of you have any other species I would like to know what kind of terrarium / artificial nest you use. We still have over 90 varieties of ants in Quebec soil so what I think is a good setup is perhaps not the best necessarily. :D
Join the GAN project on AntsCanada.com.There are 8 GAN farmers in Quebec that would probably be happy to do business.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

EnglishFireAnt

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:58 pm

I have family which i have never met from Québec. Each and every year we get Christmas or should i say Noel cards from them. Thank goodness for translate. Anyhow. Welcome, I myself am new.