Hello from Fort Worth, Texas

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

NanceUSMC

Hello from Fort Worth, Texas

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Howdy from Fort Worth!

I'm brand new to the hobby, and have never (yet) had a formicarium... I am still deciding what my first species should be, but am close to settling in on Camponotus and Pogonomyrmex.... Species that seem to be large enough that I shouldn't have to worry terribly with escapes...

If I'm successful with those, I think I'd like to take a stab at Attas or Acromyrmex...

Personally, I'm an IT professional specializing in application support in the medical field, and am an advanced aquarist with a little over a dozen tanks set up for breeding full red koi angels, attempting to breed pearlscale angels, and attempting to breed bulgarian seal point angels... I also keep and breed painted fire red shrimp, crystal red and crystal black shrimp...

Then there's the cats, dogs, horses and kids... =)

So, now I've decided to do something I always wanted to do growing up, and start my own formicarium... Doing all the research I can, but still have tons of questions... Looking forward to this adventure!

Nj6000

Re: Hello from Fort Worth, Texas

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Good luck . I'm new too . Just got my first set of workers !

NanceUSMC

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Nj6000 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 pm
Good luck . I'm new too . Just got my first set of workers !
Nice!

What species?

Nj6000

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 am

Pheidole . I'm also raising 2 pogonomyrmex barbatus queens with no workers yet .

NanceUSMC

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Nj6000 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 am
Pheidole . I'm also raising 2 pogonomyrmex barbatus queens with no workers yet .
Pheidole are a neat little ant! Wouldn't mind raising a colony of them myself!

Gatekey56

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:47 pm

hey! glad to see someone else in my area! perhaps we can get together and ant hunt or something ive been hoping some one else was in my area who was also into the world of ants!!!

Honestly im new to this my self, at the very least it would be nice to compare notes

antnest8

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm

the last time these two were online was September 2017 :(
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

PTasker15

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 pm

NanceUSMC wrote:
Howdy from Fort Worth!

I'm brand new to the hobby, and have never (yet) had a formicarium... I am still deciding what my first species should be, but am close to settling in on Camponotus and Pogonomyrmex.... Species that seem to be large enough that I shouldn't have to worry terribly with escapes...

If I'm successful with those, I think I'd like to take a stab at Attas or Acromyrmex...

Personally, I'm an IT professional specializing in application support in the medical field, and am an advanced aquarist with a little over a dozen tanks set up for breeding full red koi angels, attempting to breed pearlscale angels, and attempting to breed bulgarian seal point angels... I also keep and breed painted fire red shrimp, crystal red and crystal black shrimp...

So, now I've decided to do something I always wanted to do growing up, and start my own formicarium... Doing all the research I can, but still have tons of questions... Looking forward to this adventure!
Carpenter Ant Queens Are Out.I Have 4 C.Discolor And 1.CPynsllvanicus That I Might Put In GAN And Reserve For You In Houston(In The Summer It Will Be In The Van Project)
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

idahoantgirl

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 pm

PTasker15 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 pm
NanceUSMC wrote:
Howdy from Fort Worth!

Carpenter Ant Queens Are Out.I Have 4 C.Discolor And 1.CPynsllvanicus That I Might Put In GAN And Reserve For You In Houston(In The Summer It Will Be In The Van Project)
As stated earlier, that user hasn't been active in 6 months.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile