Hi from South Africa

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Ladysphinx

Hi from South Africa

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:14 am

I'm very new to Ant keeping. I never in a million years even thought that i will keep ants that is until I saw AntCanada channel form YouTube. it didn't take me long to watch video after video on ant keeping. My 13 year old son is also hook on these. And so I started to do some research on keeping ants. I had no idea where I would be able to find a Queen ant as ant keeping is a very small hobby especially in SA. Wonder by wonder right in my house a ant colony setup camp. I captured as many of them as possible and put them in a container and a small container in the larger container with soil in it. I place a piece of CD cover over a part of the soil and it didn't take long before the ants moved in under the CD cover. They don't seem to eat much but they clearly enjoy the sugar water in a tube I gave them. there's a lot of new eggs but I still need to i.D the exact species name of theses ants. Around here we call them Common black ants. I have not been able to get a clear photo of theses little guys as my camera can not focus on them.