Hello From ****!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

HrdWodFlor

Hello From ****!

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello there,
I am new to the hobby, I am still working on my first setup to start my first colony. I found a ant at work yesterday and was hoping someone would help confirm what she is. She was on one of the wooden structures at work just wondering around while the workers seemed to be in a mad rush to move the brood from on location to the other. I wish I had caught her but knew I had no real way of providing for her and her young at the time. I believe it to be a carpenter ant (Camponatus floridanus). but trying to find out about any ant in NC mostly brings up results for fire ants. Any links people can provide to care for this ant would be wonderful.
Thank You, I look forward to starting my own little ant family.

FarrAnts

Re: Hello From ****!

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:32 pm

HrdWodFlor wrote:
Hello there,
I am new to the hobby, I am still working on my first setup to start my first colony. I found a ant at work yesterday and was hoping someone would help confirm what she is. She was on one of the wooden structures at work just wondering around while the workers seemed to be in a mad rush to move the brood from on location to the other. I wish I had caught her but knew I had no real way of providing for her and her young at the time. I believe it to be a carpenter ant (Camponatus floridanus). but trying to find out about any ant in NC mostly brings up results for fire ants. Any links people can provide to care for this ant would be wonderful.
Ball is life... Ants included.

Nj6000

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:34 pm

HrdWodFlor wrote:
Hello there,
The queen in the picture I think is a camponotus hyatti.

Jadeninja9

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 pm

It's definitely Camponotus floridanus or Camponotus discolor
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

HrdWodFlor

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 am

Thank you, I really wish I had scooped her up that day. SO beautiful.