Hellow from Louisiana

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Stevedog16

Hellow from Louisiana

Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Hey I just recently caught my campontus Castaneda queen ant and would like to no how long does it usually take for this species to lay and egg. How much of humidity do they prefer, is these species hard to get started in raising a colony. I currently have it in a test tube and holding that will be my ants best start. thanks a lot I'm very excited to get things going

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Hellow from Louisiana

Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Do you mean Camponotus castaneus? And you should be able to get all of the information you need about this species from the AntsCanada video on keeping carpenter ants. It's very helpful. That is the number one species on my list to keep. I really fine there orange-gold color stunning.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Stevedog16

Re: Hellow from Louisiana

Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 pm

:D yes it is campontus Castaneus lol. I pretty much watch all the videos already love them very educational and entertaining. I saw the carpenter ant video but didn't no if my species of carpenter ant would be the same especially since I'm from louisiana witch is a very humid climate pretty much stays hot all year long barrely no winter, and didn't think my species needed to hybernate but thanks for the support antscanda is great.