Hello im new also first time ant keeper from ohio

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Nutter

Hello im new also first time ant keeper from ohio

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Hi i'm Nutter i caught 2 queens this year both are producing eggs. I bought a small omni-nest. cant wait to move my little ladies into their new home. Any tips would be helpful.

SweetDirtyTooth

Re: Hello im new also first time ant keeper from ohio

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello Nutter, and welcome to the forum and Ant Keeping!

That you caught 2 Queens is a good start for many Ant enthusiasts. Queens that have recently been caught and starting to lay eggs should be left in their test tubes until the colony grows and needs to be moved to a bigger space.

Some have moved single Queens and young colony's straight into nests, it might of worked for some but this could make your colony very uncomfortable because of the big space and might cause your colony to die; on small colony's ants tend to use empty chambers for rubbish and that causes mold and eventually might kill your Ants.

I recommend you keep you Queens in a dark and warm place until your colony grows then you can introduce them to your nest.

Good Luck Nutter! ;)

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Awesome! Welcome to ACAF. We're happy to have you here. I will be following your updates on your new colony. Congrats!

Yeah, I would wait as long as you possibly can before moving them into the formicarium. Some species like Tetramorium sp E can be moved early but some of the more sensitive species like those belonging to Formica should be moved in when in large numbers if possible.

Good luck! Hope you keep posting! 8-)
Ant Love Forever.

Nutter

Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks guys for the tips one queen is a pavement ant the second is way bigger not sure what she is. Im keeping them in the tubes in the dark in my garage very warm in there. I check them once a week. when I do it freaks them out. What is a good food to feed them I have honey. I wont feed them till I move them probably in aug.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Good choice on feeding them at a later time. I would suggest sugar water as it is thinner and easier for ants to digest. Sometimes ants will puke honey and can't deal with the viscosity.
Ant Love Forever.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Sugar water will be best, so far my ants have puke plain honey

larynx

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:02 am

welcome to ant keeping. i agree on the sugar water. one of my Formica queens threw her honey water up, so now i only do sugar water. good luck. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Nutter

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:29 am

where do you get the millipedes?

Nutter

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Update: just checked my test tube it has like 5 little ants running around with the queen. So exciting. they are low on water should i move them to omni nest or transfer to new test tube with water?

Carl75

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:43 am

A new test tube will be better as they are a small colony.