Howdy from NW Ohio

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

MikeMc

Howdy from NW Ohio

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:29 pm

My name is Mike - I have been toying with keeping ants for a few years and was finally able to make time while a nuptial flight was occurring. I plan to catch a few more this year, but as of now I am stacking my future formicarium on one of nuptial females I collected on February 24th. I have already seen eggs in at least 8 of the test tubes, so I am excited.

MikeMc

Re: Howdy from NW Ohio

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:30 pm

PS - this was shortly after capturing them, I have added the cotton and water before storing them in a quiet dark location.

xTNxANTMANx

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Nice. I'll be happy when I can find that many here lol. TN weather is being stubborn right now.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Martialis

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Welcome! What species?
Keeper of

Selliing:

SpeciesK

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:48 am

You found flying ants at the end of February in Ohio! :shock: And they have eggs already! :o
:D :lol: That is great!

MikeMc

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't get any email notifications...

Yes I was lucky to get these guys so early, we had an unusual warm front and had 2.5 days of 65 degrees and the ants decided it was time.

I believe these are Prenolepis imparis http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Prenolepis_imparis

BuckeyeAntLover

Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello Mike

My name is Jeff and I live in Bowling Green. I didn't think I would meet anybody on my first day on the forum who is from Ohio let alone Northwest Ohio on my first day in the forum. A few weeks ago I was planting flowers in the flower box and came across what I think is a queen. She didn't have wings at the time so I was able to get her and put her in a test tube, but she hasn't laid any eggs yet. I have to figure out how to upload pictures onto this forum from my phone, that way other members help me figure out if she is a fertile queen or not. Keep in touch, it will be cool to know somebody locally that might be able to help me with tips in keeping native ants. Take care, hope to hear from you soon!!👍🏼

Jeff