Help with ants

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

NathanB

Help with ants

Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:52 pm

Hello! I just got a tiny thin ant home, and connected it to a large ant farm that I made. Then, a relative collected ants and put them in it. But I don’t know if the ants are good for it, or are good for a beginner! They are very common, red harvester ants. I will/would send pics if needed, but I’m not sure if the ants are the right thing for a beginner, and if they can be in the home. I don’t have previous experience, so help is needed. If anyone can help, I would be thankful.

BugBoy

Re: Help with ants

Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:05 am

Hi!
A picture of the ants would be great in order to identify their species as different species require different care. But in general,
1. check if you got the queen along with the colony as workers generally cannot reproduce, if no queen then best to release them.
2. Give them a nesting area with humidity (if clay nest, add water to clay or if acrylic nest, there should be hydration methods) and an outworld (for them to throw rubbish and eat food) with a water tower (for them to drink from). Then feed them regularly (at least once in 2 days). Can try honey and protein(like crickets, cut mealworms etc.). Put the food in the outworld and remove any uneaten food after 24 hours. Do not feed them wild caught prey like grasshoppers etc. as those may contain parasites or insecticides and kill your ants. Can get those mealworms or crickets from pet shops.

I will try my best to give more recommendations after identifying the ant you have (if I can) as I seldom check this forum. Hope this helps!
Keeper of:
Pseudoneoponera rufipes
Odontoponera denticulata