Hello

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

chickenman297

Hello

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi everyone,

After my initial account got lost in the aether somewhere, I finally got an account made up. Thanks AntsCanada :D

I live close to Brisbane in Australia and have been interested in ants since a very young age. Originally from Darwin in the Northern Territory, I can remember the various species of ants in my backyard. There were meat ants (iridomyrmex purpureus I believe), a much smaller black ant, a species of orange and black ants which were mistaken for sugar ants but I'm not sure if they are, the green ant, and of course what we called the ginger ant (coastal brown ant, pheidole megacephala).

Ants have always been in the back of my mind, but I never really took a serious interest in them until I saw the AntsCanada youtube videos about how to keep them. Seriously a great advertisement. I have since acquired a bunch of test tubes and have set about catching queen ants and I have caught around 15 of them :shock: All of the queens have laid eggs and as of this time 5 colonies have developed nanitics (the GAN project will be hearing from me soon lol). These ants have been identified as iridomyrmex.

Anyway, I'm rambling so I'd better stop.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Hello

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:38 am

Keep on rambling if you have more ant related rambling to add. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.