Hello From England

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

JohnyDL

Hello From England

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi I'm from stoke on trent I'm kinda late to the party this year and I'm going to try and document my escapades from novice to ant keeper.

Right now I'm doing a work up of everything I do before my first ants next year, I've got 3 choices for local species according to the powers that be, Lasius flavus, Lasius niger sensu lato, Myrmica rubra. Lasius flavus isn't ideal they're a farming species that live all their lives underground eating root aphids and finding a queen will be nearly impossible. Myrmica Rubra which are a little on the small side, not that I mind that, and are a stinging species which I might have a problem with. And Lasius niger which is common and I've experienced on more than one occasion foraging in my home ^_^ guess Lasius niger it probably will be.

I actually wanted to go for tetramorium but unfortunately while native to the country aren't native to my area so I'm not permitted to keep. More on that in my Journal ^_^

Anyways nice to meet you all

John

AntsMclama

Re: Hello From England

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello! and good luck to finding the ants you want, Maybe you will one day find the tetramorium you want walking alongside you on the sidewalk one day :)

JohnyDL

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:42 pm

I wish they're a costal species in the UK and I'm nowhere near the coast, unless they invade naturally anyway I wouldn't be permitted to keep them which sucks

Martialis

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:22 pm

JohnyDL wrote:I wish they're a costal species in the UK and I'm nowhere near the coast, unless they invade naturally anyway I wouldn't be permitted to keep them which sucks
Why can people in the UK keep ants like Atta/Acromyrmex, but not ants non-native ants native to another part of the country?
Keeper of

Selliing:

JohnyDL

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Martialis wrote:Why can people in the UK keep ants like Atta/Acromyrmex, but not ants non-native ants native to another part of the country?
it might just be my council but I asked and they said I have to keep a local species, so that's what's going to have to happen, it's unfortunate but I'll deal with it ^_^

Martialis

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm

JohnyDL wrote:
Martialis wrote:Why can people in the UK keep ants like Atta/Acromyrmex, but not ants non-native ants native to another part of the country?
it might just be my council but I asked and they said I have to keep a local species, so that's what's going to have to happen, it's unfortunate but I'll deal with it ^_^
Ah. Thanks for clarifying this.
Keeper of

Selliing: