New to Ant Keeping// Upstate N.Y. Ant-keepers

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

MikeN20

New to Ant Keeping// Upstate N.Y. Ant-keepers

Sat May 23, 2020 9:39 pm

Hello everyone! I’ve been watching AC for some time now and I figured this quarantine was as good of a time as ever to try the hobby for myself. I was hoping I could get some advice on raising queens as I haven’t had the best of luck.

So far I have been able to capture 2 camponotus queens but unfortunately both have died within 48 hours of being placed into a test tube set up. Neither were injured or had shown any troubling signs prior to putting them in the test tube. I kept them in a box that I tried to warm with a heating cable, the thermometer read 77-80 degrees and I turned off the cable during the hottest part of the day so it wouldn’t get too hot. Just wondering if anyone sees anything wrong with this method or has any advice as better ways to care for them.

Also, if there’s anyone here from upstate NY, specifically the Capital Region I would love to meet up and discuss the hobby! Thanks guys, looking forward to the responses

-Mike

Iabast

Re: New to Ant Keeping// Upstate N.Y. Ant-keepers

Sun May 24, 2020 1:59 am

Welcome to the hobby! I sympathize with you, as I have had my fair share of sad queen losses, in fact, I only have two surviving queens to show for two years of ant keeping (writing this down makes me realize that I'm a monster), but for my two surviving ones, I have noted how I have taken care of them. I have just put them in a test tube setup with a drop of honey and left them in a drawer. I checked on them every few weeks until they had brood, and then I gave them a small cricket leg. from there, things kicked off, because once they have workers, I don't think that it is likely for them to die. If I were you, I wouldn't try to heat them. again, welcome to the hobby, and good luck!