Greetings from the east of England

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

jwatson16202

Greetings from the east of England

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 am

Hello all!

My name is Jay and I live in Essex, UK.
I used to keep ants as a child and recently came across the AntsCanada YouTube channel which has resparked my interest.

I currently have 2 Lasius niger colonies, the first is a queen still in the founding stage, although I'm hoping her first worker encloses in the next week or so.

My second colony currently has around 20 workers and has just moved into a Lasius hybrid nest. So far they have not explored much, although one ant has been observed making repeated trips to the outworld and bringing back sand to the nest.

That's all I have about me and my colonies for now.

Jay

SpeciesK

Re: Greetings from the east of England

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am

I keep seeing that people really like Lasius niger. I am new to antkeeping and have dug up some ants. They are SO interesting!

jwatson16202

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:49 pm

Lasius niger are popular in U.K. and Europe as they're pretty abundant and easy to find
I obtained the two I have right now through the GAN project but I may branch out this year to other species depending on what I find

Cale3459

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Welcome! I'm the same way with keeping ants as a kid, found a Camponotus queen while redoing my driveway, and re-sparked my interest. She's currently at 15 workers with a large clutch of eggs and a few larvae. I'm actually going to be over in your neck of the woods visiting London in May. I can't wait for that! Anyways good luck with your colonies!

jwatson16202

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Same to you, I hope your colony does well. Kinda hope mine are doing well, I've been in LA this week so haven't been around to keep an eye on them

Also enjoy London when you go