Planning to create future Ant colony. [Help!]

Make your suggestions here.
EvanTheAntLover

Planning to create future Ant colony. [Help!]

Tue May 17, 2016 7:44 pm

So I'm planning to create a future Ant colony. I'm planning to buy a formicarium from the AntsCands website too. The only problem so far is the queen. It's suppose to be cold everyday this week, and I just can't wait to catch a queen. (For anyone wondering I live in Kentucky, so our weather is very bipolar.) Any tips, I have all my test tube setups and I already have an agenda. Also I'm New to this, so I have to experience catching queens. I know about the Flights, just no experience on where to look or to begin. Though there is a Ant Colony in my backyard, and I saw the queen the other day!

AntsRule

Re: Planning to create future Ant colony. [Help!]

Tue May 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Don't worry it is the still the start of the anting season, I felt the same way about a week ago and then BOOM 14 queens! Check this link out it will help a lot with finding queens and how to trap them.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/2282- ... nt-queens/
I like to look in pools and water sources because hundreds can get trapped in there. Don't be afraid to catch a few just in case one is not fertilized. You can always let them go later on. Do not worry they will come. Watch the weather and and always carry a snap cap bottle on you since you never know where you might find a queen. They like to fly on warm days after big rains. Keep an eye on that colony in your yard queens and males will be seen hanging around or in the nest before the flight.
Good luck and happy anting!!! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

EvanTheAntLover

Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks man, those traps were pretty interesting. Ive already setup one in my back yard. I have another question though. When I finally catch my queen, what temperature should the room be? I know to keep her in dark places, but don't the room temperature. Thanks. :D

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue May 17, 2016 9:07 pm

EvanTheAntLover wrote:Thanks man, those traps were pretty interesting. Ive already setup one in my back yard. I have another question though. When I finally catch my queen, what temperature should the room be? I know to keep her in dark places, but don't the room temperature. Thanks. :D
The best place to put her is in a closet, it's dark and also it usually doesn't have a air duct (for heating and A/C) in there so it will stay "Just Right" for her. If she can stay around the same temp it is outside the better for her, more like her natural home would be.

And for the hardest part......... Leave her alone. It will be so hard not to want to take a look at her all the time but if you do that you can stress her out and she can eat her eggs, not lay any at all, or not tend to them. Just put her in there and check on her maybe every 3 weeks to a month.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

AntsRule

Tue May 17, 2016 9:09 pm

You can heat them but you don't have to. I have mine on top of my Bearded Dragons tank, it's about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't bake them though. I would guess 70's are best. Just do not keep them in an air conditioned room or they will die. They do not have to be heated though it will speed up the process. Does anyone else know the best temps to keep queens in test tubes at? :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 pm

Argg I did it again :lol: . I was writing my post when you answered it first hahaha :lol: More input I guess!

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

EvanTheAntLover

Tue May 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Haha, take care man. :lol:

AntsRule

Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 pm

:lol: You too

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.