MY Queen and my Setup .. Please help !!!

Make your suggestions here.
Nelphiant

MY Queen and my Setup .. Please help !!!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:25 am

Dear Ant Friends

my daughter enjoyed AntsCanada´s Youtube Channel alot and after some time we decided to get an Ant Farm. We picked up our Ants and let them get to a size of approximately 35 Workers, after that we moved it to thei´re new Home (picture attached) and they direktly moved out and after a couple of hours they started to dig. The queen moved then overnight in the connection tube wich should normally connect the nest area with the outside world. even though i never saw them eat anything i believe they are ok so far and the Queen is busy laying eggs. The Size of the Colony is now around 50 Workers. Also they almost closed the entrance to the outside world with some small "stones" only 1 or 2 ants are going around the outside world every now and then.

My Question is what do i do about the queen in the connection tube ..... shall i let her be there or shall force her to the nest area ??? and what about food .... do they eat some of the honey water i provided ??? Also i arranged some nutrition fluid for Ants and give them a small drop as wekk .... also i tried to give them different kind of fruits .... they do not seem to care ..... currently they only store little grain (they are harvest ants) .... water they obviously take still from the almost abandoned test tube wich is still attached to the nest setting (i am worried to take it away since i am not sure if they would use the other water source in the outside world .. since they are almost never there)

Please help me since i am affraid that i may make some big mistake and harm the ants unwillingly .....

Thank you very much for any information you can provide and please excuse my bad level of english

attached some pics:

Thanks for any information you could provide

Nelphiant

Re: MY Queen and my Setup .. Please help !!!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:28 am

strangely i cannot attach the pics ....

FolloweroftheWay

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:49 am

Use imgur or Google drive and post links.
Solenopsis Richteri x 2
Lasius Neoniger x 2
Camponotus spp. x1
Wish List:

Monomorium pharaonis

Nelphiant

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:01 am

here the links to the Pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pUHmk3GNG3LXZPcThkQ2FnSUk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pUHmk3GNG3RkNnYzR6X2FhbGM/view?usp=sharing

i hope this works :? :?

AntsOnTheCoast

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:10 am

Is she stuck in there...?

Anyways, try hydrating the nest and cover it up with a cloth or something. Expose the connector to a little light and they should move out quickly. It seems as if she's in a pretty tight spot there, so I'm not sure why she wouldn't want to move in.

Nelphiant

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:30 am

AntsOnTheCoast wrote:

Anyways, try hydrating the nest and cover it up with a cloth or something. Expose the connector to a little light and they should move out quickly. It seems as if she's in a pretty tight spot there, so I'm not sure why she wouldn't want to move in.
She is not Stuck ... she moves in all directions, but i am not sure if she would be able to move backwards up the pipe .... but i am not sure and i think about to disconnect the pipe and let her "fall" into the nest area .... but i do not want to scare her either ..... during the day i mostly cover the whole setup with a towel (except the pipe in the hope she would move on her own into a more dark area).

AntsOnTheCoast

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:01 am

Nelphiant wrote:
AntsOnTheCoast wrote:

She is not Stuck ... she moves in all directions, but i am not sure if she would be able to move backwards up the pipe .... but i am not sure and i think about to disconnect the pipe and let her "fall" into the nest area .... but i do not want to scare her either ..... during the day i mostly cover the whole setup with a towel (except the pipe in the hope she would move on her own into a more dark area).
As a last resort, you could start wiping vinegar and water in the inside of the little tube she's in. I don't know if this has worked before but I've heard vinegar disrupts pheromones and their chemical trail. This could encourage them to move out. Also, is the nest hydrated? Might have to just wait a few days to see if anything happens. Unless if the queen is dying in there, there shouldn't be any large problems right now.

Nelphiant

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 am

AntsOnTheCoast wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:01 am
Nelphiant wrote:
AntsOnTheCoast wrote:

As a last resort, you could start wiping vinegar and water in the inside of the little tube she's in. I don't know if this has worked before but I've heard vinegar disrupts pheromones and their chemical trail. This could encourage them to move out. Also, is the nest hydrated? Might have to just wait a few days to see if anything happens. Unless if the queen is dying in there, there shouldn't be any large problems right now.

Hello,

thanks for the information ... currently i think i wait .... they started digging on the second entrance to the nest (the Pipe connect the nest with the outsideworld but there is a direct connection between the outside world and the nest area) They also opened the pipe again (they removed the little stones they build up in the past to block the pipe on one end) .... she is moving and she can exit the pipe (at least to the outside world) at any time she choose .... i keep the nest hidrated and i arranged 2 water supplies (1 at the nest area - the test tube with the water is still connected - and 1 at the outside world) they should have enough ffod (i just changed the honey water and also i changed the ant food fluid) also they have quite a nice stockpile on grain. The eggs are growing and i think there a few new ant workers but it´s hard to tell since it is difficult to count them ..... they are busy moving around ....
If hou have anymore tips i really appreciate our input ....and really thanks for all the information ... i will keep updating this topic ...

Thanks

Phil

antsRlife

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 am

If you have to go to a last result, it depends on how low in the pipe she is, add a few drops of water inside the pipe and let is drop down to the queen. This should move her but don't add too much as it could drown.
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

Nelphiant

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Update !!!

after several days of trying i finally got her out of the pipe on her own .... i kept the nest very Dark ... and added a small led light what konstantly made light to the pipe .... finally she moved into the nest .... (i am very happy now) .... :D :D :D

here are some pics .... hopefully everything will be fine .....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pUHmk3GNG3bWMwUF90WlNPQlU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pUHmk3GNG3eFRabDdwMUR3RlU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pUHmk3GNG3VE9Bc19qd0tNeE0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pUHmk3GNG3blBId0ppVFhpN2M/view?usp=sharing

i hope she feel herself ok at her nest and i will keep you all postet .... btw ... i just let it "rain" there ....

Thanks for all the Tipps ...

cheers

Phil