Campanotous Sp first worker problems!

Make your suggestions here.
Serenity

Campanotous Sp first worker problems!

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 am

Hello this will be my first post! Yippee!
Unfortunatly it is about my queen ants first workers.
Decent sized brood pile. Several look ready to emerge. First worker died to unknown causes. Second worker emerges lives for two days and dies afterwords. She still has brood that looks like they are ready to hatch but now she has scattered them about in smaller clusters about her founding chamber. I don't know what I have done wrong. Please help my colony!

Log of past events.
Camponotus Log

July 28th - First Worker!
July 29th - Watered down honey introduced
August 1st - First worker seems dead. (2 pupa entering final stage of development. Cocoons)
August 14th - One pupa seems to be hatching but not fully emerged...
August 15th - One pupa now has a slit in the top where antenna or legs protrude it is moving on its own however the queen seems to be busy with another pupa that is very dark on the inside she is having trouble opening it because there is a egg attached to where she wants to bite.
August 17th - 2nd worker hatched!!
August 20th - 2nd worker was twitching and on its back this morning. It promptly died that afternoon.

Serafine

Re: Campanotous Sp first worker problems!

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 am

How is the setup of your Camponotus? Can you make a picture? Are they in a test tube? Camponotus are fairly dry-resistent but if they live in an open test tube humidity may still be an issue. Did you try offering your queen a drop of sugar water? If she fails to open her cocoons you can do that with patience and some very fine tweezers.

Serenity

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 pm

This is her setup she moved in after she had her first worker so that I was able to feed her some watered down honey in a bottle cap.
I can see some white fungus now that has grown on the water tower where she used to keep the brood.

Serenity

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:33 pm

That was not a reputable site... sorry
Here's a new photo...

Serenity

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Bump.

AntsOnTheCoast

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:50 am

Hm, maybe you should change the setup. Mould is pretty dangerous, so that has to be dealt with.

Strange.