Natural or fake outworld?

Make your suggestions here.
Potato

Natural or fake outworld?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 am

In the tutorial of AntsCanada for outworlds he uses plastic plants and all kinds of fake landscape. Is it possible for me to make a natural landscape and avoid the negative consequences? I heard the main problem was nesting in the outworld, well, is there a way prevent that from happening? During my vacation I was gathering all kinds of plants to put in the outworld and now I'm a bit dissapointed... If somebody has experience with natural outworlds, please share your knowledge, I need to know...

tiger01vincent

Re: Natural or fake outworld?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:45 am

Well, I am not experianced.....

But, I can still share some usefull info maybie!

I have just built an outworld and I am ready to decorate it. I agree that fake plants and all looks sooooooo bad, I have 2 aquariums, and NO fake plants, they are discousting.

I will probably turn to airplants mostly, ans some driftwood. Otherwise I am probably going for a rocky enviroment with grout, and sand plus rocks stuck in it. I am thinking to push down a pot in the grout, fill it with soil/sand, and plant a cactus maybie in the pot, scince they dont need that much water.

You can have sand in the outworld, just keep it dry, and maybie dont have a dry loving ant species.... If you plann to keep lets say Myrmica, I would not be that afraid to use soil blended sand, maybie with some divider, and inside of that divider, plant a dry loving plant! Myrmica tend to love moist areas, so they (probably) wont nest in the outworld.

Good luck! :D
<3 Thanks!
Email: vincent.bystrom@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010099860866

Otherwise just DM me

Potato

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks for the information!

tiger01vincent

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:04 am

What ants are you planning on keeping?
<3 Thanks!
Email: vincent.bystrom@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010099860866

Otherwise just DM me

Potato

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:37 am

I don't know what species my queen is, please check my post in Species Identification Center
It's called "17th July Périgord" or something like that...

AntsOnTheCoast

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 am

If you're using the AC outworld, you probably shouldn't do anything crazy like planting larger things, since you probably won't get enough room. Otherwise you can have some grass and other small shrubbery. For larger outworlds, I encourage everyone to have real plants since fake ones look nowhere as good.

Might I recommend some twigs or rocks as well. They work with smaller outworlds as well.

Potato

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 am

I'm not using a AC outworld...

Potato

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:01 am

Can somebody give me a website where I can find more info about Pheidole sp.?