Reccomended Species / Houston, Tx Nuptial Flights

Make your suggestions here.
Unicron5120

Reccomended Species / Houston, Tx Nuptial Flights

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:47 pm

I've been looking into keeping ants as pets for a while now, and only just recently have I gained the resources required to keep them
(I don't have any formicarium yet though, as I'm waiting to decide if this is what I want to invest my time and money into). I'm actively working on redoing my room and when I'm done I'd like to start because I'll have space to put a formicarium. That being said, does anybody have any good idea about what species are making nuptial flights in the greater Houston area this time of year.
Being a beginner I don't want to start with a species that will grow very large in a short period of time like Solenopsis Invicta. But I'd like to house something manageable like pseudomyrmex gracilis because the species' colonies don't grow very fast from what I've heard. But of course, I've also heard pseudomyrmex gracilis colonies never have more than 20-30 workers at a given time.

Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James

AnAntNoob

Re: Reccomended Species / Houston, Tx Nuptial Flights

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as i am not an expert at all, but i heard tetramorium is a good starter species. Atta texana (fungus growers) is also cool but i think they are harder to raise
Currently founding:
Parasitic laisus

Waiting for Trachymyrmex septentrionalis, Prenolepis imparis, and Lasius aphidicola.