Rubbing head?

Make your suggestions here.
K1ngAnt

Rubbing head?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 am

Hey, so I'm super new to ant keeping. I caught a Camponotous Queen 2 weeks ago and she has only laid one egg (which she later ate) I was wondering why she isn't/ hasn't laid more eggs? I noticed today she was constantly rubbing her Antennae if that matters. I also noticed she was shaking her abdomen? I am keeping her in an unairconditioned attic? Could it be to hot? Or could a testtube setup be to humid? I have a bad habit of checking on her every 2ish days. I am going away for 3 weeks in a few days, how should I take care of her during that time? The picture below is her rubbing her antennae/head
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-lrqNch1YYmOGZ5MGY5TG5nZkE

idahoantgirl

Re: Rubbing head?

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:21 pm

K1ngAnt wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 am
Hey, so I'm super new to ant keeping. I caught a Camponotous Queen 2 weeks ago and she has only laid one egg (which she later ate) I was wondering why she isn't/ hasn't laid more eggs? I noticed today she was constantly rubbing her Antennae if that matters. I also noticed she was shaking her abdomen? I am keeping her in an unairconditioned attic? Could it be to hot? Or could a testtube setup be to humid? I have a bad habit of checking on her every 2ish days. I am going away for 3 weeks in a few days, how should I take care of her during that time? The picture below is her rubbing her antennae/head
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-lrqNch1YYmOGZ5MGY5TG5nZkE
Your best chances are to leave her alone, and only check on her once every week. For camponotus, even that can be too much. She is probably just stressed. I've been there, where you just feel like you cant possibly wait that long, but it is necessary. The test tube is fine as far as humidity goes. If your leaving for three weeks, then that's a great opportunity to let her have some peace and quiet and de-stress. You don't need to care for her at all. Just leave her and go! Fully claustral ants just need water, and peace. Good luck!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile